Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Photographic Journey...

Re: Your Photographic Journey...

Hello Gem,

Might be amazing, but I have not purchased a scanner yet. I have been so busy with other demands of my time. The scanner will happen in time and will share more about that once the deed is done.

What we photography and the images we produce are much a part of who we are and how we see the world we live in. I do believe when one begins this journey into photography, there is much to learn about the tools that suite the individuals photographer, then comes a journey of discovering who we are as members of the human family, what images we want to share with others and learning how to get the most from the tools we choose. Without a passion and sensitivity for our photographic subjects, our images would be not much more than a frozen moment in time, it is our soul, personality, spirit, passion and mastery of the tools that make the difference in the images we create.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    ... These days, I’m trying to find time and passion to seriously take up photography again, but not really sure what I have to say on a given subject and I’m not going to expose any film until my passion for a given subject has solidified. ...
    Bernice,
    I understand a bit about your wanting to wait until your passion has solidified. But wouldn't it help by getting started and exposing film to actually help crystalize that passion. Or have I missed something that your wish to wait - dare I say prevarication - implies?

My journey started with cameras supplied by my father who tinkered and repaired them for love of cameras. I carried one religiously on my adventures from a young teenager, through to now. So one of the phases is documenting my explorations.

My first real identifiable phase was Close Up and Macro Photography. I concentrated on it relentlessly as a teenager. Photographing everything small that I could find in the back yard, or spending the day trying to capture a bee. In this phase I learnt how to work a print in the darkroom. The laundry on moonless nights.

At art school my initial goal was to paint and draw to change the world. But my disapproval of the art world grew with negative criticism from tired old stoned painting teachers. But there was somewhere that I flourished and that was in the photography department. Where I was given freedom to express myself and encouraged to experiment and just to photograph what I love. It was here where I was first introduced to a large format camera, printing my work in colour. The phase started Wilderness or Landscape photography. Art school shaped my focus on fine art, producing prints to hang on walls. This phase just hasn't moved that much at all. Though my techniques and practice have markedly changed. Much like Bruce talks about. This started the enduring large format phase.

Latter came the interest in people, portraiture, and recently the human figure / form.
    Now I am in a teaching phase, mentoring photographers, tutoring, and running workshops. Which is fantastic, as now my work is my own again.

One phase remains consistent throughout my journey... and that is the obsession phase. It comes and goes, intensifies and dies, sprouts and regrows.... Each time it grows back it grows stronger and stronger.

The journey that lays ahead is so exciting... I can't wait.... and am working on it right now...

Enjoy and love it... I do...

Len

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

My journey is really just beginning, but it's taken me a while to find my path.

I grew up reading National Geographic in various forms; initially the "kids" version, and later the "adult" version, along with that National Geographic books, shows, and that sort of thing. I loved exploring the back country, spent summers in the Adirondacks in a summer camp, getting more into the wilderness, and eventually went to college.

It really wasn't until after college, when I had begun working as a software engineer and couldn't find fulfillment in my work that I started returning to the arts. My passion for photography developed in large part from my love of nature, and my need to explore.

And a few years ago, thanks to Danny Burk and inspired by Jack Dykinga's book (Large Format Nature Photography), I learned how to use a large format camera and ended up addicted.

Now I am living in the Pacific Northwest, and doing all that I can to develop my eye and exercise my passion for the arts.

And so my journey begins

thanks for sharing, all... i've been off the computer for a few days, but was delighted to see so many personal and thoughtful accounts posted here. it's interesting how many of your comments i can relate to personally - thanks again for sharing.

-scott