Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where have they gone?

Where have they gone?

As a frequenter of this forum for a fair number of years, I am curious about the disappearance of former contributors, some of whom gave the site a spark. Have they been banned, become disenchanted, or perhaps have more pressing issues at the moment? Any thoughts?

Re: Where have they gone?

Have you checked on other forums to see if they're posting there? APUG, Photonet/ Large Format, I think there is a Yahoo forum which has rec in the title (Richard Knopple(sp) was very knowledgible there when I had access to it several years ago)?
    Of course, all the smart ones have probably gone digital.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Richard frequents rec.photo.darkroom quite a bit still. Usenet still has it's believers (myself included)

Any people in particular?

Bill, thanks. My query was to question their abscence from this forum, not their whereabouts.

I do not understand why you suggest that "all the smart ones have probably gone digital". What am I to infer from this comment?

Could just be the normal forum fatigue. I know I've been active on some forums for a while and then moved on. I think this is pretty common.

A few probably got lost as the forum shifted from the original Greenspun forums to photo.net and then back to an independent forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Any people in particular?
    Yes.

However,it was good to hear from a new member last week, Ansel's grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    As a frequenter of this forum for a fair number of years, I am curious about the disappearance of former contributors, some of whom gave the site a spark. Have they been banned, become disenchanted, or perhaps have more pressing issues at the moment? Any thoughts?
    Many reasons. People get tired of forums, especially, if their content doesn't change much in character (no one likes being on a forum where there is constant bickering and fighting). Other times, the forums personality itself changes; a forum's personality changes based upon the people that own or moderate them (like this one that has gotten more pro-digital over the years). Sometimes, the change isn't enough, sometimes it is too much. The key is not to take it too personally.

Often times, it's people's own priority that changes. Find a forum that works for you personally, like LF Forum, APUG, my own forum TraditionalPhotographer.NET, Acutance.net, ChooseFilm, or many others, and just enjoy the ride.

Hi Merg,

Wonderful seeing you pop up on the forum. I'm not sure who you were asking after in particular, but in my case (not to make presumptions) I've been quite busy with traveling and haven't been online much recently. This nice 5-day holiday weekend spent at home has given me some idle time.

I hope all is well by you and the rest of the LF.info community!

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Great to hear from you, and with the perfect reason for not checking in frequently; busy with travel, and I assume, photography! Terrific! Have you been back to Vancouver Island?

Best,
    Merg