Page 468 of 1717 FirstFirst ... 3684184584664674684694704785185689681468 ... LastLast
Results 4,671 to 4,680 of 17170

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Are the ones you mention similar to this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270567954163...84.m1438.l2649

I've been wanting to get one for a long time but wasn't sure they would make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Are the ones you mention similar to this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270567954163...84.m1438.l2649

I've been wanting to get one for a long time but wasn't sure they would make a big difference.
    Yes. This is the same screen used in ex-factory upgraded Kiev 60 and 88CM cameras. I have one like this in several of my cameras and it's similar if not the same as the one Trevor would have had in the camera he sold to Jay. I'd bet that Trevor got that camera from Hans Roskam back in the 90's, though Trevor has been using these for a very long time so I may be wrong. Dr. Roskam (who was also known for distributing Docter Optic lenses, but now mostly sells binoculars and microscopes) installed one of these in the Pentacon Six I bought from him about that time.

And Gevorg (who owns Araxfoto) enjoys a pretty good reputation among Kiev camera owners and users. A good reputation in that crowd is hard to maintain given the execrable quality control on Kiev cameras back when they were being produced.

Rick "who has an 88CM that Gevorg rebuilt and refinished to good effect" Denney

Ramiro,

Looks identical to the one I got. Recommend.

Jazz concert...Nikon D800E, 85mm f/1.4D or 50mm f/1.2 AIS:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

How do you focus with this? I can barely focus the Biometar 80mm with the ancient Pentacon screen.

Your Biometar is great lens and I hope that new view screen will allow you find out how good it is and that you will share your results here.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    Have you ever seen The Solitude of Ravens by Masahisa Fukase?

Then there is Ted Hughes poetry book Crow, extremely interesting.

The Kill by Ted Hughes
    Flogged lame with legs
    Shot through the head with balled brains
    Shot blind with eyes
    Nailed down by his own ribs
    Strangled just short of his last gasp
    By his own windpipe
    Clubbed unconscious by his own heart

Seeing his life stab through him, a dream flash
    As he drowned in his own blood

Dragged under by the weight of his guts

Uttering a bowel-emptying cry which was his roots tearing out
    Of the bedrock atom
    Gaping his mouth and letting the cry rip through him as at a distance

And smashed into the rubbish of the ground

He managed to hear, faint and far - 'It's a boy!'

Then everything went black

by Ted Hughes

My point is crow imagery is a very creative vein, but maybe its not a good place to be.
    I have heard of Fukase's book, though aside from a few images here and there, I have not seen it. From what I understand I would be in sympathy with it, and with him. As for the crows, I think you might be right in saying it's not a good place to be, but it's not the crows that bring one there. That is to say, if one is filled with a sense of foreboding, or with despair or loneliness, then those are the things that one will find in the world, those are the symbols he will see. It is the crows that come to me! And on that cheery note , here's another picture:

Finn, Portland

My boy here doesn't stay still for anything, so spontaneous, low-light photos can be challenging. I like this one though. I think it's the way the chalk patterns echo his hair. And of course those fingers!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/

I don't have kids but I have nephews, one of whom thinks he can hide from me behind a pole. There is no hiding from me and my all seeing cameras!

Tru-View plastic 120 camera, HP5+

Jonathan

This is as good as it gets for fall colors down here in the deep south. Too many damned pine trees. Taken at my favorite little park on campus. Yashica 124G, expired Superia 100 developed at home with a Tetenal kit. First is at f/4, second is f/22:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks Jay and Rick, got one last night. I have two Praktisix bodies and my intention was to find a short petzval to mount with extension rings. I got the Biometar with one of the bodies but the focusing ring is stiff as... very stiff. The Biometar is indeed a beatiful lens.

Thanks Jay and Rick, got one last night. I have two Praktisix bodies and my intention was to find a short petzval to mount with extension rings. I got the Biometar with one of the bodies but the focusing ring is stiff as... very stiff. The Biometar is indeed a beatiful lens.
    If you look at the design of the Biometar, it is almost indistinguishable from a Xenotar, and very similar to the 5-element Planar as used by Hasselblad and Rollei for decades. The two Zeisses and Schneider all came out with their double-gauss designs about the same time--a little after coatings became feasible in production. The Biometar had its design roots in the Planar, but it came out after the war when the Jena and Oberkochen works were separated, so the names didn't cross over like the names for production lenses that was already established before the war, such as the Sonnar and the Tessar.

But if you like that Biometar, grab a 180/2.8 Sonnar for your Pentacon when the opportunity comes. That is indeed a world-class lens. There are sharper lenses, but none have that wide, smooth brush look. Not like a Petzval, but lushly understated in comparison.

An easy way to mount barrel lenses is to get the Pentacon bellows. Then, get a body cap for a Kiev 60, and drill a hole in it for the lens. Mount the lens in the body cap, and mount the body cap on the bellows. It will focus lenses as short as about 105-110mm to infinity. A more polished approach is to get a 62mm reversing ring and one of those rear filter-stack caps with the female threads. Drill your lens hole in that, or better yet mount a universal diaphragm. Personally, I never made it past the body cap. The bellows give you a focusing mechanism so that you don't have to move the camera to focus, as you with extension rings.

By the way, NEVER let the film-advance lever spring back on its own with a Practisix. Ride it back with your thumb. Those finely machined brass gears are known to strip otherwise.

Rick "seeing prices on these go up" Denney