Page 152 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 521021421501511521531541622022526521152 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 17217

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Some brilliant images in this thread (as with all the threads really).

BIRD by NGUSS, on Flickr

Digital! D300 from Egypt.

Hardian's Wall Sunset Velvia 1 by NGUSS, on Flickr

Mamiya RB67 Velvia 50

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    Austin do you use the same editing procedure for most shots? It always looks great. Just wondering.

My favorite from Death Valley:
    That's an incredible picture. Otherworldly. And I love the blowing sand. The one time I explored the dunes in Death Valley, there were footprints everywhere and it drove me mad until I realized that the whole business was a little absurd, me tromping around looking for 'pristine' sand, so I just went with it and started photographing footprints. A few of them turned out pretty cool-maybe I'll post them.

As for my procedure, well, my um, 'workflow' is pretty primitive. I think I'm now at the point where I know just enough (barely) to get what I want, or at least I've convinced myself I do, but I'll tell you, when I browse through some of the forum topics here (particularly the digital stuff) I start to break out in a cold sweat: "Man, I really have no idea what I'm doing!"

Anyway though, I shoot film (medium format or 5x7 these days), have it developed (gasp!) and then scan it in with my Epson 4990. Sometimes I play with the levels a bit. Then I work (with Photoshop Elements-double gasp!) on the contrast and the brightness and so on. After that, there's usually a little dodging and burning and then some sharpening. For the tones I add a fill layer. I have a list of codes for my favorite colors. And that's about it really. I try and keep things simple, not so much for philosophical reasons, but because I like to keep my energies focused on going out into the world and discovering things. Either that or I'm just not very smart-ha! Thanks for the compliment though. I admire your own pictures a lot.

Michael, I'm a sucker for ruins, there aren't any interesting ones in Australia
    Zaitz, both astounding pictures, the redwoods in the fog shot (as with your 4x5 shot) has great atmosphere and mystery to it. The Death Valley shot is great as well! Is it a blend/hdr? a lot of dynamic range in that image
    The seascapes are taken all over the place, the first and last taken near my house in Perth, Western Australia, the second is from a lake also near my house. The one with the orangey rock formations is from a place called Kalbarri about 6 hours North of Perth. The round boulder is from Moeraki Boulders near Dunedin in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    That's an incredible picture. Otherworldly. And I love the blowing sand. The one time I explored the dunes in Death Valley, there were footprints everywhere and it drove me mad until I realized that the whole business was a little absurd, me tromping around looking for 'pristine' sand, so I just went with it and started photographing footprints. A few of them turned out pretty cool-maybe I'll post them.

As for my procedure, well, my um, 'workflow' is pretty primitive. I think I'm now at the point where I know just enough (barely) to get what I want, or at least I've convinced myself I do, but I'll tell you, when I browse through some of the forum topics here (particularly the digital stuff) I start to break out in a cold sweat: "Man, I really have no idea what I'm doing!"

Anyway though, I shoot film (medium format or 5x7 these days), have it developed (gasp!) and then scan it in with my Epson 4990. Sometimes I play with the levels a bit. Then I work (with Photoshop Elements-double gasp!) on the contrast and the brightness and so on. After that, there's usually a little dodging and burning and then some sharpening. For the tones I add a fill layer. I have a list of codes for my favorite colors. And that's about it really. I try and keep things simple, not so much for philosophical reasons, but because I like to keep my energies focused on going out into the world and discovering things. Either that or I'm just not very smart-ha! Thanks for the compliment though. I admire your own pictures a lot.
    I definitely got a bit lucky. The other people there wouldn't go 50 yards out from the parking. And if they did the wind would blow the foot prints out pretty quick. Only footprints were my own!

Thanks for the insight. I just kept seeing the consistent toning. It works well in every image and that surprised me. I can never get a set scheme that works well in more then a few photos. And thanks for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Michael, I'm a sucker for ruins, there aren't any interesting ones in Australia
    Zaitz, both astounding pictures, the redwoods in the fog shot (as with your 4x5 shot) has great atmosphere and mystery to it. The Death Valley shot is great as well! Is it a blend/hdr? a lot of dynamic range in that image
    The seascapes are taken all over the place, the first and last taken near my house in Perth, Western Australia, the second is from a lake also near my house. The one with the orangey rock formations is from a place called Kalbarri about 6 hours North of Perth. The round boulder is from Moeraki Boulders near Dunedin in New Zealand.
    Thank you! Single exposure for this one. The seascapes above were a blend of two to gain detail in the rocks/shadows. The d300s files are very adjustable. Looking at the histogram I set the EV to underexpose by almost two stops. This gave my nice sun stars and the shadows were still recoverable. The sun is overexposed and pure white. But by yellowing the highlights it softens them quite a bit and gives the highlights less harsh of an appearance. Copious dodging on the ripples brought them out. And thanks for the info. I'd love to have access to a fantastic coastline like in those.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Two Ships, Astoria, Oregon

Mamiya RB67 and Ektar 100

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    More iPhone:

Raindrops on the sunroof.
    This is superb!

An image from my brief foray into digital - Nikon D50 - 18-55

Comments/Critique Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Two Ships, Astoria, Oregon
    I love this!

gary bunton

Frank I agree I have the G1 with the 20mm lens it's great I use it for scouting and all around easy shit, my d 700 doesn't get much use, all the others are film up too and including 8x10. I think the G1 is an great little camera.BTW I like your work a great deal.