Thread: Catherine Opie

Catherine Opie

Has anyone seen the Catherine Opie show at the Guggenhiem?

I went on Friday and was pleasantly surprised. The range of her photography is incredible! She goes from mid-sized documentary work, to large-scale portraits, to tiny platnium prints, to the largest polariods ever made. I realized that i had seen a number of her photos at different times but never realized that they were made by the same person. Its really refreshing to see a photographer who isnt pigeon-holed into shooting the same thing over and over again.

Between this and the eggleston show, this is a great time to see photography in ny (although, some could argue it always is).

Re: Catherine Opie

i'm very interested in har work after a saw some of her portraits in aperture magazine, is there a catalogue? is it good?

I saw her large-scale portraits of children in a show in Chelsea three or four years ago. Impressive stuff.

i didnt visit the gift shop, but im sure there is a catalogue. there is a whole floor of her large format portraits. images of people with mono-color backgrounds, very nice prints. there is also a room of some very beautiful enviromental portraits. go to the guggenheim website and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    i'm very interested in har work after a saw some of her portraits in aperture magazine, is there a catalogue? is it good?
    http://www.guggenheimstore.org/caopamph.html

thank you for pointing this out.