Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Richard Misrach quits 8x10?

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Richard Misrach quits 8x10?

I love the TR triple convertible. Although, the 28" version is a bit long for my taste. I'm still evaluating the 21" version and will post once I make some enlargements from my 8x10 negs.

BTW, I can't imagine that's it's that hard to contact Misrach. I'm sure he's teaching, and you can contact him through that.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

from my experience attending workshops with leading "art" photographers, equipment is pretty much a non-issue, i'd be suprised if anyone established in that world would in interested in engaging in a lf forum "digital-film" or "camera kit" type discussion.

the preference is of course to talk about images.

> Leave 20 or 30 professional messages in consecutive days if necessary

I can see doing that while dealing with a company, since that's part of the business to provide answers about one's products, but I'd be hesitant to do so with an individual. In that case, trying to fish for answers on the net (possibly generating an interesting exchange) before potentially inconveniencing the individual looks a sound approach to me.

> from my experience attending workshops with leading "art" photographers, equipment is pretty much a non-issue,

Unless the equipment choice is integral to the work. For instance, the 8x10 was important to Shore when he transitioned from "American Surfaces" to his "Uncommon Places" work, and in interviews he often mentions it.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    > Leave 20 or 30 professional messages in consecutive days if necessary

I can see doing that while dealing with a company, since that's part of the business to provide answers about one's products, but I'd be hesitant to do so with an individual. In that case, trying to fish for answers on the net (possibly generating an interesting exchange) before potentially inconveniencing the individual looks a sound approach to me.

well said.

IMO kadillak always seems grumpy.....this is just another example.

calling some one once a day to ask why has chosen to switch cameras seems.....well, almost crazy. maybe a super ambitious reporter, or even an art student, may try this approach.........but it is still a bit more than necessary.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

If some ahole called me twenty times a day I'd get a restraining order.

Or just figure it's another stalker from the LF Forum ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    well said.

IMO kadillak always seems grumpy.....this is just another example.

calling some one once a day to ask why has chosen to switch cameras seems.....well, almost crazy. maybe a super ambitious reporter, or even an art student, may try this approach.........but it is still a bit more than necessary.
    What was lost in translation is that when one conducts themselves in a respectful and prudent manner and has an interest in specific information on the professional activities of an artist particularly when it relates to the work that they are producing, it is very reasonable to expect that this information can be obtained. All one needs to do is ask. Most artists want to promote their work to the degree possible. All I am saying is that factual information always trump speculation.

Drew Wiley

What's the big deal? His negatives were never quite in focus anyway and were cheaply printed. Interesting scenes from time to time, but consistently marginal craftsmanship. Perhaps the 8X10 helped his sense of composition, but it was otherwise overkill for Misrach. (I knew both the lab owners who printed his work,
    and have seen it up close, so am not making this up).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    What's the big deal? His negatives were never quite in focus anyway and were cheaply printed. Interesting scenes from time to time, but consistently marginal craftsmanship. Perhaps the 8X10 helped his sense of composition, but it was otherwise overkill for Misrach. (I knew both the lab owners who printed his work,
    and have seen it up close, so am not making this up).
    I wonder who's work I was looking at when I attended an exhibit of work by Misrach.

Those prints that I saw were sharp, well composed and nicely printed.

Don Bryant

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I think if someone like Misrach stumbled onto a thread like this, he'd be completely tickled that so many strangers can actually make themselves feel good by making up disparaging stories about his work.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    I wonder who's work I was looking at when I attended an exhibit of work by Misrach.

Those prints that I saw were sharp, well composed and nicely printed.

Don Bryant

Same here. I have see perhaps a dozen of his shows and a couple of portfolios unframed. He sometimes uses an interesting technique, using "green" developer for his C-41 prints. It gives you pinkish highlights but wonderful pastel colors that are a b___h to balance. You only really tell if you can see the print edge which are usually over matted. It is generally considered a flaw but he uses it well. Being a very experienced C-41 printer, I saw this in his borders at a show once. I pointed this out once to his gallery in Chicago as a mistake, but they informed me it was intentional. It was the only way to get the colors he wanted.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"