Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camera Bellows from England ceased trading

Re: Camera Bellows from England ceased trading

This is just part of the general scene in The U.K. Companies are closing, good reliable companies. The Midlands is really being hit hard (sorry Ash I know about Honda and the rest of your area as well). Can't see it getting any better in the near future, the government has bailed out the banks but they just won't co-operate. I hope that the company rises from the ashes, I've never had to use them but I see them as a sort of insurance deal. Friends who have used them have only praise for the company.
    Pete.

I just hope my 7x17" Korona patch job holds up until they reorganize.

It is that CameraBellows is owned by another bigger company, so the decision was from high up the food chain. My contact Keith L. at CB has said the same as Tony E. They are looking at continuing on a smaller scale on their own. Over 100 years in the business...would be nice to have that continuity. I have an old "British Journal Photographic Almanac" from the 1930s that has an advert for bellows makers at their same address.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

That's bad news. I was saving up to ask them to make a standard and a WA bellows for my 5x7. If they do bounce back, I'll be placing an order…

I was waiting for the ideal time (abundant money - so obviously not now!) to order some bellows for the Korona 5x4, as the bellows are sieved and are only good in a dark studio. Maybe if they bounce back. Too late now anyway.

Confidently Agnostic!

I've been waiting to have enough surplus cash to buy a custom 8x10 bellows myself.

Better get on with it before all these companies go under or something.

Octogenarian

Keith Canham has the bellows for his cameras fabricated by Camera Bellows.

I wonder how this situation is going to effect his business.

It seems there are several camera makers using bellows from Camera Bellows. If they do re-surface in some form, either former employees, or a similar talent pool under a new name, then there is some hope that this will be a blip in supply. After investigating Western Bellows and Camera Bellows, I had hoped to go with the latter to make bellows for my camera project. I hope there will be such a choice in the near future.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    It is that CameraBellows is owned by another bigger company, so the decision was from high up the food chain. My contact Keith L. at CB has said the same as Tony E. They are looking at continuing on a smaller scale on their own. Over 100 years in the business...would be nice to have that continuity. I have an old "British Journal Photographic Almanac" from the 1930s that has an advert for bellows makers at their same address.
    Camera Bellows were previously known as H Glanvill until 1934, they moved a few times and by 1954 were at 27a Balsall Heath Road, Birmingham, In think they moved again before setting up the current factory is at 3-5, St Paul's Road, Balsall Heath, this is in the same area.

It's good news to hear that there are plans to continue trading outside the group that currently owns them & Lee Filters.

Unlike any other Bellows maker if you asked Camera Bellows for a new set they knew what & how to make them, you didn't need to provide a pattern or specifications. When I needed bag bellows for a De Vere monorail they told me what to provide for the frames and I ended up with a perfect new set, which are still excellent 32 years later.

So like others I look forward to the emergence of the new operation next year.

Ian

Don't they make the OEM bellows for Linhof?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)