Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Epson Printers, inconsistent B&W output question

Re: 2 Epson Printers, inconsistent B&W output question

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy McKay View Post
    Tyler, it wasn't a problem for the 2880 to hit the (profiled) mark, spot on. The issue with the 4880 is more than just a colour shift; the prints come out with a very different curve/exposure. It's at least 1 1/2 - 2 stops brighter.
    Are you using CS4 and ABW for the 4880? If so, there's your problem. Adobe has been dicking around with the printing interface in CS4 and it's best avoided until they sort it all out. Maybe in CS5!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Best View Post
    Are you using CS4 and ABW for the 4880?
    No, I'm using Lightroom 2.1, and Color settings in the Epson dialog box, no color adjustment ( i.e. designated Moab profile from Lightroom Print module color management)

No, I'm using Lightroom 2.1, and Color settings in the Epson dialog box, no color adjustment ( i.e. designated Moab profile from Lightroom Print module color management)
    This problem (see posts by madmanchan)?

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...pic=29496&st=0

Stephen, thanks for the link. I'm going to try the workaround of selecting Adobe RGB 98, under LR 2's Print module Color Management Profile setting, then try Epson's ABW. We'll see. I'll try this later today, and report back. Of course, I expect that there'll still be a fair amount of tweaking since this isn't a profile for the paper.

As they say, "welcome to the suck".

UPDATE: I went to use the 4880 this morning, only to find the printer damaged, and not wanting to accept paper from the bottom tray. It looks like students from the full-time day program have been using the printer all week, and the sliding side paper guide, inside the lower paper tray, has been busted off! Additionally, the software was not in order either, as it kept telling me to load the paper againn, etc. I tried top and bottom loading, all to no avail.

Arghhhh.

UPDATE: I went to use the 4880 this morning, only to find the printer damaged, and not wanting to accept paper from the bottom tray. It looks like students from the full-time day program have been using the printer all week, and the sliding side paper guide, inside the lower paper tray, has been busted off! Additionally, the software was not in order either, as it kept telling me to load the paper againn, etc. I tried top and bottom loading, all to no avail.

Arghhhh.
    If the 4880 is used by students there's no telling what kind of problems they've created even before your latest experience. My students used to develop film in fix, refuse to ever read any instruction manual that came with their cameras, and if they didn't know why something didn't work they'd just beat on it until they completely destroyed it. Students and photography equipment are a combination that was never meant to go together.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Tyler, it wasn't a problem for the 2880 to hit the (profiled) mark, spot on. The issue with the 4880 is more than just a colour shift; the prints come out with a very different curve/exposure. It's at least 1 1/2 - 2 stops brighter.
    Tyler is telling you the truth. Printing B&W with color inks, especially if using the default driver, is fraught with difficulty. And color casts. Because you aren't using the right tools for the job. If the 2880 is working perfectly for you, it's because you got lucky.

I guess I'm not sure if a custom profile will address the exposure difference. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate hearing back from you. I'd rather not waste the money on a custom profile, unless it corrects this problem too.
    No one is "sure." Getting the color right for a given machine/ink/paper is what an ICC profile is supposed to do. But that doesn't mean it's supposed to do B&W right. Because that's not what an ICC profile is designed to do. An ICC profile is more about the edges of the gamut than it is about the neutral axis.

To get B&W inkjet printing right, you need either a driver that's designed for the duty (think QTR), an inkset designed for the duty (think Cone or MIS), or both.

Bruce Watson

No one is "sure."

What Bruce said... as usual !

According to WiseGeek: "What is Metamerism ? When two color samples appear to match under a particular light source, and then do not match under a different light source".

One of the several reasons that I make warm-tone "monochrome" images - instead of "black and white" - is that the eye can easily tell when grey is not grey, but will adapt to a monochrome image, and slight variations due to metamerism, with little if any protest.

Another reason, is that I don't want to have dedicated printers, drivers, etc. By the time you get things calibrated, your printer is obsolete. I prefer to use good-old RBG inks, and freely print color and monochrome on the same machine. One printer is already enough to worry about.