Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best film for long exposures?

Scott Hannaford

Best film for long exposures?

Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts are on B&W films for very long exposures. I've tried a few boxes of Delta 100 with shorter exposure times and have been very happy with the results so far.
    But the reciprosity law advice Ilford provided me means exposures of a couple of minutes would blow out to ridiculous lengths of say half and hour or more (depending how long the indicated exposure is of course) when adjusted for reciprosity law failure.
    For this reason I'm thinking of switching to Acros, as it's much easier. All that's required (according to Fuji) is a half-stop extra for longer exposure times.
    Anyone got experience with Delta 100 of Acros over these longer times that may be able to offer advice to someone still trying to get his head around some of the basics?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Best film for long exposures?

TMax 100 and TMax 400 have shorter reciprocity times than most films though I don't know about Acros. Does Fuji mean only a half stop more regardless of how long the metered exposure is?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've found Acros to be very linear. I shoot multi-minute exposures and haven't been adding any exposure compensation.

Fuji Acros is the best film by far I have used for low reciprocity failure. Delta 100, TMax-100 and TMax-400 are much better than traditional films, but not nearly so good as Acros.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    TMax 100 and TMax 400 have shorter reciprocity times than most films though I don't know about Acros. Does Fuji mean only a half stop more regardless of how long the metered exposure is?

Fuji Acros 100 has the lowest reciprocity compensation factor of any film I know.
    I have found the test data and the reciprocity failure formula given on the lunar light website quite accurate for my purposes. You can find them here: http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome...htm#acrostable

In practical terms: for exposures < 15 minutes there is no need to compensate for reciprocity failure.

Acros is the clear winner here. Nothing on the market comes close to it's lack of need for reciprocity correction.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

You guys ahve my interest peaked. Does anybody in Canada sell Archos 100? Years ago I used to shoot some Neopan 4x5 I got straight form Japan

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I do not know about availability in Canada. Probably it is the same situation as here in Europe. I buy the film through Dirk Rösler's Japan Exposures (formerly megaperls) webshop from Japan. I can recommend that route if you can not buy in Canada (or maybe the US)

LJ Segil

Both Badger Graphic and Freestyle Photo have Acros in Quickloads, as does Adorama, but it looks like all are out of sheets in 4x5 and 8x10. Would like to get my hands around some of that 8x10 myself.
    LJS

I read last night that in color slide film Provia is very good. In B&W Acros
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome...ty.htm#provia2