Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idiot's Guide to Film Holders

Idiot's Guide to Film Holders

Hi all,
    After a year or more of kicking the idea around of shooting 4x5, I'm almost ready to go. I've built a 4x5 pinhole camera out of an old copy(?) camera and now I need film holders.
    The camera has a graflok'ish back that will fit one of those film holders that holds 6 films. I know because I found an old broken holder and tried it out.

Besides that kind of holder (called...?), what about regular single/double sheet film holders? Will I be able to use them? Are there brands/types of these holders that should be avoided?

Thanks,

BTW, that pinhole camera project can be found here: http://stevemphoto.typepad.com/photo...4x5thingy.html

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Idiot's Guide to Film Holders

Cool project! Do you have the spring back part of the Graflok back -the part with the ground glass? If so, you can use any 4x5 film holder. I like the plastic holders (Lisco, Fidelity or Riteway) since they are newer than wooden holders, but wooden holders work just fine if they are tight and don't leak light. The only filmn holders I've avaoided are the Toyo holders... they seem to be quite expensive and I don't see any reason to spend the money when the "cheap ones" work just fine. The only single film holders I've ever seen are plate holders, but I might be living a sheltered life.

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    The camera has a graflok'ish back that will fit one of those film holders that holds 6 films. I know because I found an old broken holder and tried it out.
    That would a Grafmatic holder.

I don't have a spring back for it...just the Grafmatic (Thanks Mr. Jones).

Will the plain sheet holders work with this?

The grafloc back allowed the removal of the ground glass and spring back and you could use the slide locks to hold grafmatic backs and film pack backs. You would then have to use the rangefinder to focus.

I have never seen single sheet film holders that would allow you to use the slide locks only. However, I suspect great things could be done with a wood rasp.

You dont' really need a ground glass as pin holes are normally f264 or such and are way too dark to allow use of the ground glass anyway.

Beyond that with a pin hole everything is in focus so you don't need to focus either.

I would rig up some type of wire finder and use some type of spring clip to hold the film holder tight against the back of the camera and go out and have fun.

Neal

Sounds like I really want the grafmatic back then.

You may also want Fuji PA-45 and FP-100B45 (or C45).

Quote Originally Posted by butterflydream View Post
    You may also want Fuji PA-45 and FP-100B45 (or C45).
    Just to clarify for the Original Poster....this is a Fuji Instant Pack Film back and Instant film packs for it. It will fit on your graflok back and allow you to shoot peel-apart instant prints (but no negatives).

Thanks, Gene.

Hey, those grafmatic backs are pricey!
    I can get a spring back with focusing spring for $45 and a ton of film holders pretty cheap.
    I'm thinking that way maybe. I was thinking of making a large pinhole for composition, since my camera allows me to change out holes pretty easily.