Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Director's Viewfinder?

Re: Director's Viewfinder?

Thanks - so for an 8x10 viewcard, I start with an 8x10 card and cut out a 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 hole yes? (or is that for 4x5?) How does the string length correlate to focal length, directly, or halve?

Quote Originally Posted by BennehBoy View Post
    Thanks - so for an 8x10 viewcard, I start with an 8x10 card and cut out a 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 hole yes? (or is that for 4x5?) How does the string length correlate to focal length, directly, or halve?
    Not quite. Start with a 4x5 card with a 2 x 2-1/2 hole. Then the length of the string should be 1/4 the focal length of the lens.

Great, thanks Joanna.

Lachlan 717

Whilst it's not technically a Directors' viewfinder, you will find a 4x5 zooming here. There also appears to be an 8x10 zoom finder (attached to the 8x10 camera); however, it is not individually listed.

Lachlan.

My quickly assembled viewing card.

Thanks everyone!

Now I've seen images of what you mean, I think those cardboard cutout viewfinders with string are a brilliant idea. You just saved me about £150

Does the same rule apply for different formats? Like could I use a piece of card and string for previewing framing for my 35mm work?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    Does the same rule apply for different formats? Like could I use a piece of card and string for previewing framing for my 35mm work?
    Other then being a bit of a limited view, sure. If you do it at full scale, you'll have something like a 24mmx36mm hole at, say, 50mm (for a 50 mm lens). Not as nice as viewing the scene through a much bigger hole.

For any format, the simple one is cut a hole the size of the format and use a piece of string the length of the lens. Scale up or down (both) as desired, just maintain the relationship.

For less the $50 you can get (used) a LEICA IMARECT finder. Although the aspect ratio is wrong (2:3 instead of 4:5), once calibrated for your focal lengths it works quite well.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kierstead View Post
    Other then being a bit of a limited view, sure. If you do it at full scale, you'll have something like a 24mmx36mm hole at, say, 50mm (for a 50 mm lens). Not as nice as viewing the scene through a much bigger hole.

For any format, the simple one is cut a hole the size of the format and use a piece of string the length of the lens. Scale up or down (both) as desired, just maintain the relationship.
    So possibly a 48x72mm hole and the focal length would be half the length measured on the string?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    For less the $50 you can get (used) a LEICA IMARECT finder. Although the aspect ratio is wrong (2:3 instead of 4:5), once calibrated for your focal lengths it works quite well.
    How would one calibrate it? I don't know I think it might be confusing to try and frame in a differet aspect ratio, although I suppose one might 'mentally mask' to a certain degree...