Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New Ansel Adams prints

Re: New Ansel Adams prints

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    it seems like a fair business decision.

It is the marketing of "limited edition" prints that are in reality a reproduction of another art form, like the Robert Bateman ones that are IMHO dishonest. They are just reproductions of paintings.
    What is dishonest about that ? It is quite clear that the original is a painting, and the print a reproduction. Other art objects offered as limited editions include books.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    What is dishonest about that ? It is quite clear that the original is a painting, and the print a reproduction. Other art objects offered as limited editions include books.

Actually to the general public it is not clear. They do believe that they are getting original art work that will increase in value. They are not getting that. If you look at the way that the product is marketed as a limited edition print and that the same term is used for serigraphs, woodcuts etc. I have even had this discussion with a gallery owner selling these products and she did not know the difference between an original print like my wife produces and a reproduction print like the framing shops promote. When we were in business selling art among other things it was very apparent talking to customers that they did now know and did not understand that there were original prints and reproduction prints.

Sure there are limited edition books and cars etc but there for the public it is more understandable. The vast number of people have no idea about the different art types and the marketing of limited edition prints has capitalized on this. I have nothing against the product just the hype that has been used to sell it and the confusion it has caused.

Like Kerik, I had an opportunity to view these new prints while in Yosemite earlier this month. They were impressive, and for the price, will no doubt easily satisfy those individuals that choose to buy them.

Definitely a step above a poster and offered with a selection of frame options. No point in getting into comparisons between the processes used to create each. The bottom line is that they are beautifully rendered.

As for why they are offered, I recall in my college marketing days, the professor going on about a marketing mix, with different price points and products for the various audiences. In this respect, Ansel's SEPs currently printed by Alan have always been a means by which one with a smaller budget can own a silver gelatin version of one of AA's images.

The new series of prints is yet another alternative for the buyer to consider. It is a different selection of images than the SEPs, but just as powerful, and clearly Ansel who framed the scene.

BTW, though it is no surprise, Kerik's work on display there was stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post
    I can never remember my name, either. With a little luck, there may be a book of my collodion work coming out in 2009...
    That would be the best news I have heard this year Kerik, been waiting a long time to see your work in pirnt Look forward to 2009 even more now.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I knew of the special editions by Alan but assumed they had been made from dupes since in her biography of Adams Alinder says all his negatives went to U of Arizona and that no prints for sale could be made from them. I guess she's wrong on one count or the other.
    And lets not forget the John Sexton does the printing for Ansel Adams trust for the publications. No, these prints aren't sold, but do become the basis for the books that are printed. John's work is at the direction of the trust, using negatives on load from the Center for Creative Photography (where they reside) in Tucson.

regards
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

As far as the inkjet prints are concerned, they are $22.50 (10x13, window matted 16x20...unframed). I think that is a fair price for an inkjet print, considering the cost of the mat board and the labor involved.
    I think you are confusing the new inkjets with the offset reproductions. The new inkjets are priced like prints by contemporary landscape photographers:

http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?...S&Category=113

As a point of verification, the digital reproductions are made from Ansel's original prints. As mentioned previously, Ansel considered the print to be the performance and the negative the score. Going from a scan of the negative would leave a great deal to "artistic" re-interpretation, and could hardly be considered a "replica" of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    One can purchase Adam's originial work, a Ross printed Special Edition, poster, calendars and postcards. I think the most important thing is for those producing and marketing the images that they are totally honest with what is for sell. The Special Editions are and the posters and postcards are obvisious. If digital edtiions are produced as long as they specifiy what it is and if limited of what the limitations are then it seems like a fair business decision.

It is the marketing of "limited edition" prints that are in reality a reproduction of another art form, like the Robert Bateman ones that are IMHO dishonest. They are just reproductions of paintings. But in the case of Adam's work, what would be the difference of digital inkjet prints from his negs compared to digital prints from photographers on this form? Even AA changed his interpretations of a negative over time.
    Just in case anyone is confused, these "Archival Replicas" are not limited edition digital reproductions. Our intent is to be able to have more people see and appreciate more of Ansel's work, beyond the iconic images that most are familiar with. Limiting the edition defeats this purpose. The digital technology is finally to a stage where it is possible to produce one-off or low volume reproductions at a level of quality that is acceptable to us, and at a price that is affordable to most.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Adams View Post
    As a point of verification, the digital reproductions are made from Ansel's original prints. As mentioned previously, Ansel considered the print to be the performance and the negative the score. Going from a scan of the negative would leave a great deal to "artistic" re-interpretation, and could hardly be considered a "replica" of the original.
    Thanks for the clarification. Ansel, himself, did a fair bit of re-interpretation of the performance over the years. Which interpretation of his prints was used for the reproductions, early or later interpretations? His printing changed over the years, as he acknowledged. The later interpretations were, in many cases, of increased contrast.

Yes, later prints tended to be have a greater contrast, greater range of values and were more dramatic/intense. We're period agnostic, chose prints with a mix of vintages. The image "Sierra Meadow" is from a 1930 vintage print, the Pt. Sur Storm is from a print from the 50s, the remaining are from later prints. As the collection develops, we'll be using more vintage and unusual pieces. There isn't a method or philosophy to it, other than adding images we like.