Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy of Photography

Philosophy of Photography

What prompts you to take that picture?
    Is it a systematic way of expressing your worldview to others?
    Is it the sense of awe, that you have to do your best to try and capture it?
    Is it a study of how variations of lighting, form, shadows, context all interplay and affect each other and the overall result... how a 3d scene is best conveyed via a 2d medium?
    Is it because it will sell?
    Is it a manifestation of your communication of self, better conveyed than words, screaming in wild abandon, this is me!

How much of your 'success' with your photography is based on these factors: emotion, experience, intuition, and study?

I find that sometimes something will call out to me on some level, prompting me to take the picture. Sometimes, it does not turn out good, and can look like a huge chaotic muddle on paper/screen and yet, it holds ... something. And I wonder what that something is.

For me, study and experience will provide me the means to make that rational image everyone will like, yet it is too methodological a process by itself. Intuition and emotion are needed to deviate from the standard, yet how much deviation is acceptable?
    (Of course, I may have missed some points.)

Whatever you say, it's cool.

Re: Philosophy of Photography

As a hobby, photography is a better use of my time and money than hanging out in bars, street racing, drugs, etc.

As for what motivates me to take a particular picture? Not really sure. "Because," I guess. I do know that they almost always look better in my mind than the actual outcome. Now that I am practicing more, the gap is narrowing.

Merry Christmas!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." -- Dorothea Lange

I'm in full agreement with Lange. I make photographs to help me see better. It's amazing to me how well that actually works.

Bruce Watson

There are times when I feel compelled to shoot something. sunlight streaming through an interesting window or doorway will do it. When outdoors, the low-angle sunelight of late afternoon will also do it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

When I likes what I sees, I shoots it. When I dislikes what I sees, I don't shoots it.

Because I can't paint what I see the way I want others to see it.

Richard M. Coda

It's kind of a combination of all of those things... sometimes, one facet outweighs the others, sometimes they're fairly equal.

What usually happens with me is I'll be driving somewhere and something will catch my eye as I'm passing it. If it makes me turn my head and almost break my neck, or get me into a wreck, I make a note of what time I was there and come back as soon as I can with the big cameras. I often get comments like... "I know where that is... I go by it every day..." Sometimes, its "where is that? You're kidding. I'll have to go back there and look at it."

One recent photo (Salton Alien on my website, under color) "told" me to take the photo. I was shooting B&W 8x10 and had shot my last sheet. I was about to pack it in and head back to Phoenix when I turned around and saw it. It really begged me to take the photo, and that is the first time that has happened to me. I could not refuse. The image still haunts me. My wife, daughter, and (non-photo) friends hate it. They say it's "scary" or "depressing". I can't take my eyes off of it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

I shoot a scene when I like what I see, hope others will like what I saw and then spend money on it because it holds meaning to them as well. The money then goes to help support the next effort.

I totally support the views of Dan, Ash & Eric. If I like the resulting image.............Fantastic!
    If the world don't like it, sod 'em!
    Pete

boredom drove me into it and drove me away from it as well.