Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you describe ink jet process

Re: How do you describe ink jet process

I'd just say that they're inkjet prints that use pigment-based inks; the first part is the simplest statement of what they are, while the second is a reasonable qualification because it establishes that they're likely to have decent longevity.

I'd skip the apologetics about how you used to be a silver printer. You're entitled to use whatever medium you want; the fact that to your taste this one best achieves your current esthetic objectives is justification enough.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    -

Any advice would be appreciated.
    www.timeandlight.com
    Carbon pigment ink jet print is often used these days, assuming that you are using carbon pigment inks.

Don Bryant

My thoughts-use the medium you prefer, and call it what it is. "Archival Inkjet Print" Why all the hubub and pretense? There are bad cheaply done silver gelatin prints, and really great ones that stretch the media to the limit. Same with inkjet. I swear some of the people that print inkjet are more hung up on process than us dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    I value inkjets less than silver gelatin, as many people do, simply because a wet print is the actual artifact of light-induced chemical reactions, so it is actually a photograph, while an inkjet is a reproduction of a light-induced reaction happening on a separate device. So the inkjet is one-step removed. Others don't care, the final product is what matter to them. But to me, process is integral.
    well said! i agree. i think i will write this down. i could not have expressed myself better than this!

thanks
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

"Archival Pigment print on Cotton Rag" (or Bamboo) for me. I only mention the substrate it's printed upon just like those who print on conventional paper only mention Silver Gelatin......I never see the process mentioned.....light projection on silver Gel.

Pertinent to this discussion, here is text from a sheet I include with prints, just to be fully transparent about such things:

"I am now offering inkjet images — the correct terminology is actually "pigment-on-paper." I refuse to call these giclée — a term I’ve always thought was meant to disguise rather than to elucidate. Gelatin silver and platinum/palladium prints are so designated because they indicate precisely the nature of the imaging chemistry and/or substrate. Neither of these are defined as their mechanical means of production — "projection prints" or "contact prints" although these would both be technically accurate terms that are occasionally used as supplemental descriptions. Similarly, "inkjet" is an accurate term describing the mechanics of delivery used, but pigment-on-paper describes the material — chemistry and substrate — and is a better equivalent for comparison to "gelatin silver" or "platinum/palladium" prints."

I believe that total transparency is the key to building trust with an audience. Whatever medium we use, as photographers we should do everything possible to help our audience have a full understanding of what we use and why we use it.

Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Jensen View Post
    Pertinent to this discussion, here is text from a sheet I include with prints, just to be fully transparent about such things:

"I am now offering inkjet images — the correct terminology is actually "pigment-on-paper."

I believe that total transparency is the key to building trust with an audience. Whatever medium we use, as photographers we should do everything possible to help our audience have a full understanding of what we use and why we use it.

Brooks
    Thank you all! this is the kind of discussion and feedback I was hoping for.

Brooks, thank you for articulating so well what I was trying to get to. My goal is not to deceive but to help my patrons understand that my ink print process in no way resembles what they could do at home. I don't think they would understand my use of a rip or my use of a printer with 8 separate inks etc. I want to keep it simple but at the same time understand that this is quality.

I like the "pigment on paper" statement.
    www.timeandlight.com

Digital Prints, and this can be one or the other. After scanning, everything becomes dig.
    No matter if it is a Silver Gelatin or Petrol Jet (inks source) prints are Digital.
    No ?

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    "Archival Pigment print on Cotton Rag" (or Bamboo) for me. I only mention the substrate it's printed upon just like those who print on conventional paper only mention Silver Gelatin......I never see the process mentioned.....light projection on silver Gel.
    Actually it is mentioned with fair regularity in provenance. "Silver Gelatin Enlargement " and "Silver Gelatin Contact Print"

I'm a little dubious about variations on "ink on paper" as a way of describing inkjet prints. "Ink on paper" is usually used to described pen-and-ink drawings, sumi-e, and such. If someone took a pen-and-ink drawing, scanned it, and printed it out on an inkjet printer, I think most people would find it misleading to call it simply, "ink on paper."