Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beseler 11x14 Drum

Beseler 11x14 Drum

Hi all,

I'm extremely new here (and to LF photography) so 'hi!'.

I was wondering if the Beseler 11x14 print drum can handle 4x5 sheet film? I've seen the lf page and other posts saying you can do 4 sheets of 4x5 in the 8x10, but no information about whether the 11x14 can do it...

Thanks!

Re: Beseler 11x14 Drum

Quote Originally Posted by solace View Post
    Hi all,

I'm extremely new here (and to LF photography) so 'hi!'.

I was wondering if the Beseler 11x14 print drum can handle 4x5 sheet film? I've seen the lf page and other posts saying you can do 4 sheets of 4x5 in the 8x10, but no information about whether the 11x14 can do it...

Thanks!
    As I recall, if you have the inserts they can handle 4x5 and 5x7.

Don Bryant

I believe they can, but you will need the plastic ribs that slide in grooves in the drum. If you don't have those I don't think it will work.
    regards
    Erik

Does the 8x10 also need inserts or is the 11x14 just different in its construction?

You will need the inserts to do 4x5 in the 8x10 as well I believe unless I am mistaken and the 8x10 has a built in rib to catch the 4x5 sheets correctly.
    erik

Hm. I will keep hunting for an 8x10 then. Thank you.

I use both (but not home right now) - you need the rib AND the little clip that slides on the rib to seperate the films. 4-4x5 negs at a time with the 8x1, 2-5x7's or 1-8x10. With the 11x14 drums you can do 1-11x14, 2-8x10 (or in my case 2-7x11), 4-5x7 and I think up to 8-4x5 negs (never tried it so don't hold be to that number).

They are great for processing films and still not to hard to find.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

I see a few of these coming up second hand, but the only thing I've been asking is if they're print or film drums. Now adding the rib question to my list.

It just occurred to me to ask though, is it possible to get replacements/substitutes for the ribs (DIY or purchase)?

If the clip is the peg being used in http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/ then I think that's okay...

Actually, the Beseler drums I use ARE print drums, not film. The clips are different with the Beseler vs the ones in the link you posted. Will see if I can get a photo using the point n shoot digi cam and post it for you.

Not aware of any replacement/sub parts..but then haven't had to get that creative. A side not, there ARE Jobo drums that might fit your needs like the Jobo 2840 might work.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Mike's right, unless you already have the beseler drum complete with the ribs and clips I would look for a jobo print drum because you will probably have a hard time finding the replacement parts (who knows, maybe you can still get them) You can pick up a Jobo print drum pretty cheaply and the ribs are built in.

regards
    Erik