Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JOBO CPE-2 / CPA-2 / CPP-2

JOBO CPE-2 / CPA-2 / CPP-2

Steve, mine broke. But I was using a big drum for 40x50 prints. The handle was e asy to replace by a section of PVC tube for electrical wiring and it was strong enough to keep for years then.

JOBO CPE-2 / CPA-2 / CPP-2

Yes the handle is somewhat delicate. It fits on the lift a little loosely, but if you don't "crank" on it, it shouldn't be any problem. I give mine a slight twist after slipping it on and this seems to make it feel a little tighter... The handle has not affected the performance or ease of using the machine at all.

Scott

Cool Re: JOBO CPE-2 / CPA-2 / CPP-2

I'm fairly new to this forum and I don't want to violate and rules or protocols. Is there a place to post items for sale or is this just done in regular forum posts? What reminded me of this is that I have a Jobo CPE2/CPA2/CPP2 in like new condition that I am thinking about selling.

Hope this question is OK.

Re: JOBO CPE-2 / CPA-2 / CPP-2

There is a for sale section, you need to be a member for 30 days before you can post there (it looks like you have been).

I always thought these JOBOs were ridiculously overpriced back in the day when they going for something like $1800 new, even before adding in all the tanks and drums and gew-gaws, but then I acquired an defunct D/R containing an old beater CPP2 almost a dozen years ago for free. I've happily and extensively abused it some more ever since.

Started off using it for Ilfochromes and RA4 without the lift, but it turned out to be a good call to buy a new lift a decade ago as it enables great consistency on exact pour-in, pour-out times (turns out to be rather critical with for consistent color with C41, RA4 and E6). Also helps keep from getting splashed with acidic bleach, and the drain hose makes it a lot easier to save chemistry for replenishment (back in the days of Ilfochrome printing, that was, due to the expense of the chemistry. Everything else has been one-shot).

Nowadays pretty much using the JOBO exclusively for E6. For this purpose, can definitely recommend the CPP2 over smaller versions if only because it holds more bottles. E6 requires 7 baths (incl the final rinse) and necessitates a 2 minute wash after the first developer for which you'll need ~500-750ml X4 of tempered H2O. Simple with the CPP2 because four additional 1L bottles easily fit in the upper tray, even while I am processing with a 2500 series tank holding up to 12 sheets of 4x5.

I use a CPE-2 without lift, without Jobo drums. I basically use it as a glorified tempering bath.

I got the whole shebang (CPE-2, 4x600ml bottles, 4x measuring cylinders, print drum, manual) for about £110 I think, it was half price in a second-hand sale. I removed the red plastic template.

I could have gone for a TBE, or the newer NOVA equivalent. But I decided for the cost I was better off using a CPE-2 and if I needed it, the motor drive was there.

The nuisance is the height on the back side (behind the small chemical bottles), since this is where a big Jobo drum goes, and is only partially submerged.

The brown glass bottles are my 1L of solution. These are a little rocky but they will sit where the plastic bottles are. For my purposes I fill the 600ml bottles (for 120 or 35mm) and let them rest where they normally would.

I use the right hand side, where usually you keep the measuring Cylinders. As you see I'm using the spare 4th bottle (3 step c-41: cd-blix-stab) as a water-filled weight whilst tempering my empty processing tank (in this case 2x35mm).

You could easily do the same and fit a Combi-plan down the side where my paterson-clone tank is.

Hope thats some help.

Why the heck are you guys resurrecting a thread that's seven years old? Don't you think the OP has already gotten the information he needed way back in 2001?

Bruce Watson

Oops. I didn't notice that a new member had resurrected an old thread, that's my excuse

When you search CPP this thread comes out. As a member who still getting himself on this, this thread and its update is very useful. No problem in keeping it alive.

I use a Jobo CPE-2 for developing C-41 5x4 and find it OK for that but the motor is not powerful enough to drive drums large enough to take more than one of the 2509 reels, so you are limited with production rate to four negs at a time (the reel can hold 6 but I find too many loading errors occur, so I stick to loading 4).
    The CPA-2 has a more powerful motor and is larger, so it can accommodate the expert drums for 5x4 and 10x8. It can also drive the larger tanks to fit three 2509 reels and develop 12 5x4 negs at a time.
    The CPP-2 is much the same as the CPA-2 but has a more flexible temperature setting control, so if you are doing both B&W and E-6 as you said then the facility to switch from 25°C to 38°C and back without fiddling with fine control would be a boon.

For color processing, the critical steps are quite short (3:15), so the split-second timing control available with the lift is quite worthwhile.