Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nicholas Nixon - Technique

Nicholas Nixon - Technique

Dear Michael Smith, Amen!

Agreed. Still, I would be interested in EXACTLY how he managed to work and got those great pictures without disrupting the class. Or maybe he did disrupt it?

I studied with Nick in my undergrad years at MassArt. He is a wonderful person, and a bit "macho" (affinity for cowboy belt bucles+shirts), as well as having a very sensitive side. He is very quick with the 8x10, and focuses with a surprising rapidity. He (for the school pictures) set up a Comet flash (prob 1600ws+), which allows him to photograph anywhere in the room. He shoots at least 25 sheets a day. If you work that much, it becomes 2nd nature. This is no long belabored process, it is much more reactive. I had bought a grover 8x10 before knowing his work, and used it for a month-then was amazed at what he was doing. It made perfect sense. Why was this wonderful instrument only being used by knob twiddlers and landscapists only? Look at his city scape pictures from the 70's-8x10 from tops of buildings(many of them skyscrapers)-insane. He was the largest formative influence on me(still is), and his work is awe inspiring. Too often lumped together in purely Modernist camp, because of the whole black and white thing. That will come around as soon as people start enjoying images that arent as influenced by fashion mags again...