Thread: What are the best inexpensive lights on stands?

What are the best inexpensive lights on stands?

I like to light my subjects with strong tungsten lights on a stand. In college I used the lights that my school provided, they were good but very basic, lamps with hoods on metal stands. I've since graduated and need to buy my own lights, but have a small budget. Does anyone have any suggestions on which lights plus stands to buy and where?

Thank you!

Re: What are the best inexpensive lights on stands?

You can use $10 spun aluminum reflectors and $50 work lights from big box hardware stores -- those are the absolute cheapest.

Next up are the Smth Victor type, which are similar to the above but lightened and made photo-specific. Maybe $50 per light.... they use Photo Flood lightbulbs, which are regular light bulbs with an adjusted color temperature adjusted to match Tungsten-balanced film.

At the $100 per light (eBay, lightly used) level there is Lowel, http://www.lowel.com/, and they are good quality and versatile halogen bulb lights -- and their other gear like light modifiers and stands/grip gear is very good too. Their cases kind of suck and their pre-assembled lighting kits aren't ideal, so most people buy just what they need, starting with one or two Totas or Omnis and few stands, maybe gel holder, umbrella, boom arm -- all depending on your needs. Put everything in sturdy cases for going on location. Large professional stores stock them - bhphoto.com for example - and there are a lot of good deals on eBay.

Even better quality brands include Matthews, Arri, Mole-Richardson, etc.

Frank's suggestions are good, though I'd skip the work lights and Smith Victors and look at the Lowel line of lights. When I left school I bought a Tota and an Omni for interior work. They are great little lights that just keep working. If you are set n tungsten, I'd start off with one Tota and one Omni plus a couple of Lowel stands. Don't forget to budget for some light modifiers for them.

If I were to do it over I'd probably look at strobes instead. Especially if you're shooting portraits, strobes are more comfortable for the sitter. Calumet has some reasonable priced monolights.

The other thing I would do differently is to buy higher quality items rather than try to save a few dollars. I've had to replace the stands I bought initially; better to buy quality in the first place even if it means spending a bit more or buying a bit less.

-m

Lowel lights are the way to go for tungsten. I've used Lowel lights that are 30 years old and they are just like the new ones. They just keep going. I also agree about the Lowel stands. I have a few Uni stands which are good because they fold smaller than many other stands and they cost just the same as other stands. I have also used the Lowel Rifa lights which are soft boxes with the light fixture built in and they are good also.

I would stay away from the Lowel "V" light and go with the Tota. People at Lowel have told me that they don't like the V light because it's flimsy The Omni light is great and very versatile. Lowel also has many useful accessories like barn doors and filter holders.

If you want to expand later on you can look at lights by Mole-Richardson. Those are the ones that are painted that kinda purple pink color. Their mini spot is a very useful light and can be placed more precisely.

Check bhphoto.com for prices and get an extra set of bulbs although the bulbs do last a long time. Good luck. Also check lowel.com so see what the things look like.

I have a cheap setup I bought from Ritz Camera for about $300. It's made by Interfit (model: EX150) and contains two 150-WS strobes, two stands, one umbrella and one soft box. Yes, it's cheap, the quality isn't very good, but it works and does what I need it to (I don't use the kit often). The last time I used it was to shoot some 4x5 macro of flowers; it worked well. I'm sure I would get a better kit if I did this sort of thing often, but I don't, so it works for me.

Here is the link to the kit: http://www.interfitphotographic.com/...50%20flash.php

Ross

I found, in Sydney, but probably made in China, Qihe "Redheads" (not really but they work fine, true Ianaro Redheads need ballasts and are expensive) with a 600W halogen lamp, sort of focussable. The stand is an extra, but the lamp came with barn doors, and a mesh screen to contain the lamp from any fragmentation.

May be worth a web search, otherwise the Interfit are the next most cheap around these parts.

Regards - Ross

Thanks for all you great suggestions!