Page 118 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1349

Thread: post "in Galli style"

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: post "in Galli style"

Thanks Jim. It is enchanted.

Jim (F) - looks like a lovely place - what lens?

Jim (G) (And I thought you kept all that stuff at your house :-) Is that on 5x7?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post

I used the 5.8 - 7.7 strainer (the only one I have, WANTED: the others) at 5.8. At 7.7 the softness and glow are almost gone.
    Is your Imagon in shutter or barrel? I have all three strainers for the 300mm in barrel and could give you precise details and/or scans if you wanted to try to recreate them - an opening mechanism would be tricky but you could do plates with the centre aperture, and ones with centre aperture + strainer holes. If it's in shutter with a front thread as a starting point you may be able to find cheap UV filters that have a removeable retaining ring (to remove the glass).

I work in a high school and have borrowed a very simple single meniscus from the science dept, mounting it using the same sort of filter ring, fitted to a HiTech filter adapter plate then taped to a Sinar board. It works out to be about a 380mm/f7.6 but this was closer and probably about f10. I still have a bit of a problem focussing and (due to closeness as well) a good deal of this is probably plain out of focus rather than soft focus. Not sure if the marks on the expired Rollei Ortho 25 are due to dev or the result of the film sticking slightly to the separating paper in the box (which it was).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	181493

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Peter, nothing exotic just my Kodak 305 Portrait lens.

Peter, you are off to a good start with the soft focus work! The emphasis on shapes and tones for composition are more important than the lens choice. I like the first waterfall photo and your latest above. Determining which iris choice you want will come with experience. There is no definite best point of focus with SF. It's a gradual subjective choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Peter, nothing exotic just my Kodak 305 Portrait lens.
    Jim - that one's on my 'wants' list :-) 'Nothing exotic' but a great lens by all accounts.

JP - many thanks for the advice.

Peter, my pic was on 6.5X8.5 ~ full plate. I cut my own film for the holders.

As to focus, I always tell people starting out to roll all the way through focus and out the other side, then come back slow watching straight lines with contrast. You'll see them get sharp long before the best "compromise" with focus and softness. In this case the white letters were my focus point with a tiny bit of back swing since I wasn't looking straight on and a bit of tilt to sacrifice the top of the picture in order to have more focus on the license plate. At this point, all quite mechanical and not really thought much about while I'm doing it.

Peter, my pic was on 6.5X8.5 ~ full plate. I cut my own film for the holders.
    I was wondering if the lens length vs film size was having an effect on the amount of glow you were getting, but 6.5X8.5 is close enough to 5x7 to rule that out...

As to focus, I always tell people starting out to roll all the way through focus and out the other side, then come back slow watching straight lines with contrast. You'll see them get sharp long before the best "compromise" with focus and softness. In this case the white letters were my focus point with a tiny bit of back swing since I wasn't looking straight on and a bit of tilt to sacrifice the top of the picture in order to have more focus on the license plate. At this point, all quite mechanical and not really thought much about while I'm doing it.
    Ahh! Great guidance, many thanks, I will practice this with some indoor static objects.

I was reading the Focusing Soft Focus Lenses thread the other day and have seen your post and the one following (on the 'black flex against a white wall' - another thing to try). I liked your observation on 'deer fever'. I tend to get over-excited even without a sitter and then forget simple things like adding some tilt to pull foreground rocks into focus :-)

I love the pictorialist meets modern style of Alvin Langdon Coburn's industrial photos, Stieglitz's "Hand of Man", etc.. Light and shape.

img507 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

7.25" verito, fp4+ film in pyrocat hdc. This is to be an electrical panel for a solar farm's grid interconnection. Nobody was working Sunday at the site, so I skipped a woods walk with my family and photographed this site with some LF and MF film.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I love the pictorialist meets modern style of Alvin Langdon Coburn's industrial photos, Stieglitz's "Hand of Man", etc.. Light and shape.

7.25" verito, fp4+ film in pyrocat hdc. This is to be an electrical panel for a solar farm's grid interconnection. Nobody was working Sunday at the site, so I skipped a woods walk with my family and photographed this site with some LF and MF film.
    I missed this yesterday somehow. Always enjoy your work, ever since your youngest (I think) stole my heart away many years ago now.

Thanks Jim. Yes, my youngest has been most often the model.

This soft focus photo (with 7.25 verito) is mostly a photo of memories though it is rich with shapes and patterns. Old lakefront cottage, towel for swimming, chair for supervising.

img502 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr