Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kunming, China anyone?

Kunming, China anyone?

I'll be spending a week in Kunming. Does any one have any suggestions for architectural or landscape photography nearby?

Thanks,
    Kumar

Re: Kunming, China anyone?

The most visited site in Yunan province is the Stone Pillars, located about 75 miles from Kunming. The limestone pillars are really spectacular. The place is so popular that certain spots often get clogged with tour groups.

Not so far away from Kunming is Tiger Leaping Gorge, accessible for hikes of a day or so.

Kunming itself is a very attractive city, with a provincial museum well worth a visit, a bird and flower market, and an interesting Muslim quarter.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I'll be spending a week in Kunming. Does any one have any suggestions for architectural or landscape photography nearby?

Thanks,
    Kumar

Thanks, Sandy.

Kumar

Hopelessly Lost

Leadping Tiger gorge is pretty cool along with the 'villiage' of Li Jiang. Granted, its been built up to that crapp touristy level that China does so well but there are some little gems in there once you wander away from the main areas.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Thanks for the tip, Hollis.
    My wife will be attending a conference, while I do some wandering around. There's a one-day sight-seeing trip in the schedule that will take care of all the touristy stuff

Kumar

Find a cheap place near a school that sells spinach dumplings. They are my strongest and best memory of a short trip eight years ago. Delicious.

The Stone Forest is fun, and photogenic.

Will try them. Thanks.

The Stone Forest can be visited as a day trip from Kunming. When I was there, a special tourist train trip was available to take you out and back.

On the way to the Stone Forest, the terrain we passed through was some gorgeous red-earth farming regions. I am not sure how you would get out there for photography, though. Maybe hire a driver....

I did not go to Lijiang, but I do not think it is a day trip.

I recently watched the Zhang Yimou-directed movie "Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles", which was set in Yunnan Province, much of it in Lijiang. Part of the film featured a landscape which was very similar to Bryce Canyon, Utah. However, I have no idea where this place is located, or if it is near Kunming.

I also took the train that Michael mentions in 2002. On the other hand, the trip to Dali (on the way to Lijiang) was an overnight train, and the Tiger Leaping Gorge is further yet.

Thanks Michael. The Stone Forest is on the list. QT, I'll try to get to Dali and Tiger Leaping Gorge as well. Does anyone have any information on film processing labs? I might take my Bronica and shoot some color negative film - 120 and 220, if there are reliable labs with reasonably quick turnaround time there.
    Thanks for all the tips so far!
    Kumar