Thread: L 1200

mr.sheetfilm

Smile L 1200

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a used L1200/VLS501, and i have tried printing 24x36 on this new machine and on my old M805. Comparing grains in my prints i think think that the M805 is a little sharper...
    The blowerfan on the 1200 is noisy, and i believe i can feel vibrations in the VLS501 head. Could this be the reason??, and if so, is it at all possible to buy a new fan???

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but i am new to LF and all alone.....

Regards
    Per

Re: L 1200

I've not used one, but if it were me, I'd be inclined to wire the fan through a separate light switch to de-switch it manually, just prior to the exposure--switching it back on after some reasonably short exposure-- (say 30 sec or less) as the next step in the diagnosis, at least. I don't believe you'd want to run a 250W enlarger without a fan for very long exposures (might even shift color balance if you're doing color work) and you'll doubtless run through more expensive enlarger bulbs that way, but it'd be a simpler and easier way to diagnose before special ordering a part from Italy, at least to my way of thinking.

Just went to the JOBO page to have a peek at your L1200 enlarger and it says 20"x30" max on the baseboard-- wonder if yours is perhaps mounted in some non-standard way that's allowing vibration to be transmitted? Might also try a hose clamp and angle bracket screwed into a wall stud 2x4, or perhaps another more elegant means to support the enlarger column, preferably as far up as you can.

The condenser gives you sharper grain than the diffuser, but not sharper pictures. I have printed with this device since 16 years and sometimes in the beginning I got hysteric and tried the same negative in a condenser and sure the grain looked sharper but the tone had the feeling of cement but the tone from the diffuser has a soft creamy look to it. Experiment with slightly longer film development and a higher contrast grade.

I've used these and other similar Dursts and the fan should be quite smooth, so it could be bad bearings in the fan. These bulbs get hot very quickly, I've seen them blow up inside a head, if the fan gives up, as it overheats very fast. Original Durst parts are expensive, but it may be possible to replace it with a computer fan???
    Also, if it has been in disuse for a while, the bearings might be dry. I cannot remember if is possible to lube them or not. Or, perhaps the bearings could be replaced?
    That said, these are fine enlargers, and they to give little trouble.
    Keith

mr.sheetfilm

Thanks for your input guys. I will try to take the thing apart, lube the bearings if possible, and put it back together again. Hope that will do the trick...

regards
    Per

If you need a new fan, mouser.com has a huge selection. They should have one that is a close or exact match.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/636/1897.pdf