Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much of this is just opinion...?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how much of this is just opinion...?

Hello.
    I just recently sold off my Nikon D300 as well as my Nikon 9000 film scanner. I am keeping the Epson (for now, anyway) for rescuing those negatives that I fubar. I am directing my focus to the production of silver gelatin prints.

Shortly after the scanner was gone, I started to get cold feet, and question my reasoning: Are inkjets all that inferior? You aren't the best printer in the world... sure you don't need that scanner to fall back on? Do silver gelatin prints really look that good? Are they worth the time, tedium and frustration put into refining just one image on light sensitive paper? And the spotting! NOT a fan of the spotting!

But then I looked at a succesful silver print I'd made on Ilford warmtone glossy fiber based paper. Suddenly, all the doubts fell away like water off a ducks back. I really like the results when I do things right. When its good, its REALLY good, when it's bad...

Any way, I guess it's a matter of opinion. I (and others) still like my inkjets; I just think the silver prints are infinitely superior. I guess it's all a matter of opinion; most people seem not to be able to tell the difference...

Your... opinions are welcome.

Octogenarian

Re: how much of this is just opinion...?

"How much of this is just opinion?"

All of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    "How much of this is just opinion?"

All of it!
    Maybe I wasn't clear (won't be the first time):

What I meant was: Is PHOTOGRAPHY as an art form simply a matter of opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post

Yes, now you must choose the manner in which you feel the most reward from while expressing that art form. Whether silver or ink.

Digital and ink is my work,
    so silver has become my pleasure, as you stated, when it is right on, it is oh so beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Yes, now you must choose the manner in which you feel the most reward from while expressing that art form. Whether silver or ink.

Digital and ink is my work,
    so silver has become my pleasure, as you stated, when it is right on, it is oh so beautiful!
    I find silver more rewarding because I prefer it. My clients, who, as of late, are as common as hen's teeth, don't seem to care or know the difference. So I guess this begs the question: Why am I really doing this? For the money, or for personal gratification...?

Maybe I wasn't clear (won't be the first time):

Neither the word "photography" nor the phrase "art form" is used in your message. Your entire message is devoted to darkroom prints and ink jet prints. If you want people to discuss the question of whether photography as an art form is a matter of opinion (an odd question but you're certainly free to ask it) I suggest you delete the message you've posted and ask that question. If you want people to discuss the question of whether in their opinion a darkroom print on fiber paper is "better" for them than an ink jet print then leave your message as it is.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Neither the word "photography" nor the phrase "art form" is used in your message. Your entire message is devoted to darkroom prints and ink jet prints. If you want people to discuss the question of whether photography as an art form is a matter of opinion (an odd question but you're certainly free to ask it) I suggest you delete the message you've posted and ask that question. If you want people to discuss the question of whether in their opinion a darkroom print on fiber paper is "better" for them than an ink jet print then leave your message as it is.
    I haven't needed help with expressing an opinion since I was four. To rebut your response would be a waste of time.

I haven't needed help with expressing an opinion since I was four. To rebut your response would be a waste of time.
    Well a year isn't a very long time.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post

To the rest of you:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

f.

If it's just pictures you want then either gelatin-silvers or ink-jets will do fine.

If you want photographs, objects bearing marks because they were struck by light, then only gelatin-silvers are the real thing.

If you want surfaces bearing marks because they were struck by ink then only ink-jets will do. Gelatin-silvers are no use.

The key reason for choosing between photographs or ink-jets is not down to appearances. Ink-jet technology, even now in its infancy, is largely capable of replicating the appearance of pictures executed in any medium. The choice hinges on the relationship the pictures have to subject matter and the way the astute viewer responds to this relationship.

Photographs are made by a physical sample of subject matter penetrating a sensitive surface. The penetrated surface is the photograph.

Ink-jets are generated by a mark making machine mapping the contents of an electronic file onto a piece of paper.

Photographs are evidence, ink-jets are testimony. The astute viewer who knows all of this can respond with goose bumps or yawns; their choice. The casual viewer doesn't care. It's all just pictures, isn't it?
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".