Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S. Illinois - Edswardsville Area

S. Illinois - Edswardsville Area

I will be in the Edwardsville area for a week this month and I'm looking for suggestions of places to visit. I will be limited to places within a two hour drive. Are there any grain elevators worth taking a look at? Any parks with interesting geographic features. I know St. Louis is nearby, but I am not too interested in urban subjects.

Re: S. Illinois - Edswardsville Area

My wife is from there. You are about a half hour or so from St Louis and it's full of good photographic opportunities. The Botanical Garden there is among the best in the world. It will take at least three trips to see it all. The boondocks around E'ville are pretty flat and plain. Smells like oil too. I used to do a lot of cycling down there. There is a really good bike trail that goes through E'ville that is supposed to be a hundred miles long. If you're into cycling you could come across some out of the way sights that way.

BTW, Route 66 goes through E'ville too, so that's something you could explore too.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Dave Karp

St. Louis has one of the coolest subjects of all -- The arch. I was there on business years ago, with lots of down time. I brought my Canon FTb with me and spent all of my spare time photographing that thing. It changes with the weather like a chameleon. It is urban, but it is so fun to photograph.

Speaking of the Arch, there is also a large sphere shaped building nearby and the joke of the town is that someday they will build a structure to resemble a crocket mallet so that they could have a gigantic game of crocket being played.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    . . . a gigantic game of crocket being played.
    I love it.

St Louis is a great town. It has a small town feel to it even though it is a very large city. The people have that friendly midwestern way about them (kind of like a very large Toledo, OH). It would be a good place to live but for me it's just too damn hot and humid for me.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    St Louis is a great town. It has a small town feel to it even though it is a very large city. The people have that friendly midwestern way about them (kind of like a very large Toledo, OH). It would be a good place to live but for me it's just too damn hot and humid for me.
    Really? I bummed through St. Louis in the spring of 1976, and tried sleeping the the Greyhound Bus station. In the middle of the night I made my way to the lavatory downstairs and on the way back up some big black dude jumped me from behind and grabbing my throat with one huge hand and pinning me up against the stairwell and slamming the back of my head neatly into the wall, demanding money(which I didn't have much of, being a hobo of sorts)
    I told him that if I had any money I wouldn't be sleeping in the bus station and it might be worth his while to try the airport because affluent people travelled by plane.
    He asked me what the word affluent meant.
    I told him.
    And he left me alone.
    I've always persumed that somebody at the St. Louis airport got mugged that evening on account of me

Needless to say I didn't sleep a wink for the rest of the night.

Be careful where you go in St. Louis!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Really? I bummed through St. Louis in the spring of 1976, and tried sleeping the the Greyhound Bus station. In the middle of the night I made my way to the lavatory downstairs and on the way back up some big black dude jumped me from behind and grabbing my throat with one huge hand and pinning me up against the stairwell and slamming the back of my head neatly into the wall, demanding money(which I didn't have much of, being a hobo of sorts)
    I told him that if I had any money I wouldn't be sleeping in the bus station and it might be worth his while to try the airport because affluent people travelled by plane.
    He asked me what the word affluent meant.
    I told him.
    And he left me alone.
    I've always persumed that somebody at the St. Louis airport got mugged that evening on account of me

Needless to say I didn't sleep a wink for the rest of the night.

Be careful where you go in St. Louis!
    You sure that you weren't in East St Louis? I had a great tour guide (my wife) while I was there. She knew where to go and what to see. There are places everywhere that you don't want to venture into without a .454 Casul.

In my younger years when I was bumming I always found that sleeping in all-night Laundromats was pretty good. It looked like you were there doing laundry and just fell asleep waiting for your clothes to get dry.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

No Greg, he wasn't in East St. Louis. I am about 5 minutes south of Edwardsville. As far as i know, the Greyhound bus station is/was in downtown St. Louis (somewhere).

As for interesting geographic features. Hmmm. The Missouri Botanical Garden is interesting, but not at this time of year (IMO). The Laumeier Sculpture Garden is pretty neat. The Transportation Museum has a lot of train cars and may even have other things, but all I recall from my trip there is the train cars.

The Arch grounds themselves are interesting. Forest Park is also a nice place to visit, but with the current construction on the highways in the area, may be difficult to get to. Forest Park is where the 1904 World's Fair took place. The St. Louis Zoo is also neat, but is right next to Forest Park and the same caveat of construction traffic applies here.

Greg, as far as that sphere shaped building, I don't think I know what building you are talking about or I've seen it so much that I don't see it anymore.

If I was to go out there again, I could burn through a box of film just in some of the small river communities that line the Mississippi between Hannibal and St. Louis. In fact, I'm hoping to get out there this coming summer and do just that.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!