Thread: Sinar and manfrotto tripod plate

Sinar and manfrotto tripod plate

hi

I was just looking for a new tripod head to carry my Sinar F2 and I ordered the Manfrotto 229, just to be on the safe side and ready for 8x10".

Now for my question:
    Is the normal 030 plate sufficient for the Sinar rail clamp base (~7cm / 2,76" diameter) or do I need the 030L (10x10cm / 3,94")?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph

Re: Sinar and manfrotto tripod plate

It probably will, but I suggest not hand-tighten the screw but to use a tool instead. There are more versions of the 030, one with just one screw in the middle, but I suggest to take the version with the screw in the middle plus a ring around it. I'll try to find a picture of it.

sorry, not a very clear photo
    Last edited by seepaert; 2-Dec-2008 at 11:16. Reason: photo added

I use the 030L with my Sinar P 5x7", it just fits and feels better that the standard hex plate. As suggested by seepaert, use a tool to tighten the screw.

Unless you have other cameras using the same head and you want them all to have the same QR system, you don't need a QR with a Sinar. The rail clamp is a QR. Just leave the clamp on the tripod and loosen the rail to remove the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Unless you have other cameras using the same head and you want them all to have the same QR system, you don't need a QR with a Sinar. The rail clamp is a QR. Just leave the clamp on the tripod and loosen the rail to remove the camera.
    What he says. The Sinar pan and tilt head is a perfect match.

C

Thanks guys, though I've already bought the head with the 030 -it fits perfectly!

@seepaert: The 229 came with this plate anyway, it's rock solid...

@David A. Goldfarb: I tried attatching the clamp directy to the tripod but it didn't work because the base of the clamp is very uneven. Apart from that I also use a Hasselblad 503CW so I need a 'real' QR System...
    But thank you for your advice and help!

Just for your info: There is a camera holder which you can attach on the bottom of the Hassie which you simply push into the clamp instead of the Sinar rail. It works like a charm (especially with the Sinar tilt&pan head).
    Many of these tilt n' pan heads sell for some $200 or so, but if you're patient you can find them for much less than so. The old "Norma" green ones dates back to the fifties, but they are just about the same as a new one. The camera holder/bracket should cost no more than $30-40 for a used one.
    Also, the tilt n' pan head is made to match the rail clamp, with a matching notch for the anti-twist lock.
    The setup I use for my Sinar is a Feisol 3371 with a leveling head (no center column) and an old green Sinar tilt n' pan head. It's really steady and still quite lightweight.

//Björn