Thread: Problem scanning slides

Problem scanning slides

I've got an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner and am trying to scan slides. The scan comes out as snow. No pic available. Can anyone help?

Bob

Re: Problem scanning slides

Can you provide a bit more info on what settings you are using when you have this problem. You are in transparency mode I asssume. What dpi are you using, etc. Also are you using Epson scan or other software.

(I presume you are doing 35mm slides). There a special holder for slides: see http://www.virtualtraveller.org/epson2450.htm

When the holder is present, the scanner detects the tab at the lower left hand corner of the holder, and configures itself accordingly.

If you simply lay some slides down on the glass - without using the holder - the scanner may not know what you are doing, and the results will be... unpredictable.

If you use the holder - but position it in the wrong orientation - the scanner may not know what you are doing, and the results will be... unpredictable.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 25-Feb-2009 at 13:19.

Cool Re: Problem scanning slides

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    (I presume you are doing 35mm slides). There a special holder for slides: see http://www.virtualtraveller.org/epson2450.htm

When the holder is present, the scanner detects the tab at the lower left hand corner of the holder, and configures itself accordingly.

If you simply lay some slides down on the glass - without using the holder - the scanner may not know what you are doing, and the results will be... unpredictable.

If you use the holder - but position it in the wrong orientation - the scanner may not know what you are doing, and the results will be... unpredictable.
    Sometimes you can do everything correctly and the scanner still may not know what you are doing.

Best start from the beginning. Tell us what you are doing from start to bad finish.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Did you unlock the scanning bar? I had a HP that locked it in position for transport. But the worst is when I use the auto setting, it will scan for a preview . . . as I will have removed the cover in the lid (actual location of the lite bar) used to scan negatives or slides what I get is a scan of the interior of the scanner bed . .

Dear Clay,

Thank you very much. I feel like a ditz. I have had the scanner for quite a while, but hadn't scanned slides. Thanks it works.

Karen