Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: An old tired Horse called the Lounge

Re: An old tired Horse called the Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lambert View Post
    We've already seen one of the deleterious effects of restricted discussion. Good people leave. I was very sorry to see Domenico Foschi go. I very much appreciated and admired his visual and verbal contributions to this site. Perhaps the Owner and Moderators could rethink and revisit this whole issue.
    I am also sorry to see Domenico leave! A helpful, intelligent and creative artist that will be missed.

Has Been LF Photographer

We've already seen one of the deleterious effects of restricted discussion. Good people leave. I was very sorry to see Domenico Foschi go. I very much appreciated and admired his visual and verbal contributions to this site. Perhaps the Owner and Moderators could rethink and revisit this whole issue.
    He made his own choice. It appears that he felt if he couldn't use the forum for his political views, he would take his toys and go home. That's his choice.

QT and the moderators made the right choice. Those who don't feel the forum serves their needs are certainly free to go. Others will arrive to take their place. There is always a turn over of participants on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    We will try to reassess after a while to see if we are better off or worse with the new rules. In the while, I'd say attempts to influence this by stirring up the pot are counter-productive.
    Then have the balls to stop the discussion right away if you have no intention of taking member opinion into account. Save people the time and effort of posting their sincere concerns over the direction of this place if moderator convenience is going to be the only guiding hand on policy decisions.

I agree 100% with Deane, and Bruce Watson made some excellent points in his message.

This is a forum for the discussion of LF photography, and off-topic discussins of other photography related subjects are allowed in the lounge.

The recent discussions about politics created a lot of dissension and some persons quit posting here because of them. Now some appear to be leaving because religoius and political disucussions have been banned.

So be it, but if the LF forum loses it should do so on the basis of its basic mission, which is LF photography.

I would not be opposed to moderated discussions about any topic, but why should the moderators be asked to waste their time moderating topics which are not core to the mission of the LF forum? Are there not enough photography related topics about which we could argue?

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    He made his own choice. It appears that he felt if he couldn't use the forum for his political views, he would take his toys and go home. That's his choice.

QT and the moderators made the right choice. Those who don't feel the forum serves their needs are certainly free to go. Others will arrive to take their place. There is always a turn over of participants on forums.

As much as I might agree with the spirit of the original poster's argument, I must concur with the position that this is Mr. Luong's house, as it were, and his right to determine what goes on in it should not be a topic for debate, unless of course, he decides to put the issue up for debate.

I found the lounge to be a double edged sword. I was impressed, and glad to know that there were some progressive thinkers in the lf photo community. On the other hand, I was appalled at what I perceived to be backward thinking, and this only confirmed my suspicions about much of the population which surrounds me.

The bad thing is, some of the most appalling thought expressed in the lounge actually came from sources that produce photographic art work that I truly respect and admire. I must confess that I find it difficult to separate the work from the artist; this is perhaps a flaw in my character, but it is what it is.

The bottom line is, I'd rather not know that some of the artists whose work I admire are people who harbor beliefs I find repugnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    This is not an abridgment of your rights in any way. But you are right that this is about respect for other people's rights. He is not limiting your rights. He is exercising his. And you should respect his rights in his house.
    Well said!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

My hope is that the moderators will someday add "talking about the Lounge" to the list of banned topics!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    My hope is that the moderators will someday add "talking about the Lounge" to the list of banned topics!
    yup!

i have to say i a agree with bruce (well said), cobalt, sandy and deanne. they have said it better than i could.

good photographers will come to LF forums and they will leave. that is life.

the only part of what poco has said that i agree with is the moderators should lock this thread already.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

"My opinion has changed since then and I don't think that this is a good forum anymore."

There are many many forums that I don't think are good. I don't participate in them.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    Then have the balls to stop the discussion right away...
    Wow, how extraordinarily gracious of you. Tuan is a much better person than I. Were this my forum, by now you'd be banned for life and all trace of your 130 posts purged from the database.