Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: None Pictorialist uses of LF Photography?

None Pictorialist uses of LF Photography?

I am interested in learning about photographers that use Large Format photography, but in a none pictorialist way. Does anyone have any links or references? To start the ball rolling here are two that I like:

Simon Norfolk
    http://www.lensculture.com/norfolk.html

Paul Shambroom
    http://www.paulshambroomart.com/art/...evA/index.html

By non pictoralist I mean where the emphasis of the image is not just for purely photographic or scenic qualities.

Cheers

Martin

Re: None Pictorialist uses of LF Photography?

I'm confused by your question. Pictorialism in photography is generally considered to be the emulation of painting techniques. Soft focus, heavy darkroom manipulation, all that. It was popular in the late 1880 to early 1900s and faded out of popularity after WW-I. This was also about the time of the rise of "modern" silver-gelatin photographic papers. Maybe a coincidence.

So... most modern photography is non-pictorialist.

Bruce Watson

Bruce is right, the word pictorialist has a different meaning. You might like Struth, the Bechers and Burtynsky. But there is no substitute to hauling your camera out to places where it doesn't really belong and shooting as if it were your heart's next beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    I'm confused by your question. Pictorialism in photography is generally considered to be the emulation of painting techniques. Soft focus, heavy darkroom manipulation, all that. It was popular in the late 1880 to early 1900s and faded out of popularity after WW-I. This was also about the time of the rise of "modern" silver-gelatin photographic papers. Maybe a coincidence.

So... most modern photography is non-pictorialist.
    My definition of pictorialism is similar to yours, but I would say that much of the photography on here does emulate traditional art. The main aim of the pictorialists and in the UK the Brotherhood of the Linked Ring was to gain acceptance for photography as a legitimate art form. Many large format photographers are exploring the aesthetic of the medium. Pretty pictures is a too crude a way of saying it, but it does sum up a popular strand of photography. In the UK this is very much the forte of camera clubs.

In the two examples that I gave the photographer has something else to say in addition to the aesthetic. In Simon Norfolks case there is a subtle anti war theme. Paul Shambroom is exploring the issue of 'Power'.

I did included a dictionary definition of pictorial to try to avoid confusion. Sorry.

There is a new breed of documentary photographers who as well as having pictures in newspapers are exhibiting in galleries, Luc Delahaye is an example. For some of these people the need to make big prints that often sell for large amounts of money, means that they are exploring non digital mediums. In addition by, using traditional processes they gain value in the eyes of the 'art market'.

Martin

"My definition of pictorialism is similar to yours, but I would say that much of the photography on here does emulate traditional art."

...Pretty pictures is a too crude a way of saying it

It sounds like you are looking for those who use Large Format, where Beauty is not the only subject, or even the point. Instead, you are looking for those who tell a story, make a statement, or convey an idea.

To some people, Beauty is the final destination. Without it, life isn't worth living, no matter how lofty the ideas.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

A good place to start might be Frank Gohlke and the photographers involved in the "New Topographics" art movement. Historically, perhaps the FSA (Farm Securities Administration) photographers. Then there's Weegee and Atget and Timothy O'Sullivan...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Here are 19 well-regarded and still working:

Abelardo Morrell
    Stephen Shore
    Joel Meyerowitz
    Sally Mann
    Joel Sternfeld
    Alec Soth
    Andrew Moore
    Greg Crewdson
    Michael Eastman
    Hiroshi Sugimoto
    Robert Polidori
    Pieter Hugo
    Richard Misrach
    Mitch Epstein
    Sze Tsung Leong
    George Tice
    Christian Patterson
    Tina Barney
    Larry Sultan

So, the answer is lots. With a little effort, the list of working, well-paid LF photographers in "non pictoral" (which obviously means a variety of things) could be doubled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    To some people, Beauty is the final destination. Without it, life isn't worth living, no matter how lofty the ideas.
    Ah, but beauty does not have be trite, or obvious, or stereotypical. Finding beauty outside of the norms is a true gift.

Smile Re: None Pictorialist uses of LF Photography?

WOW ! Simon Norfolk's work is the most exciting images I've seen in a very long time. Thanks .
    Of course, not only am I provincial but alas -Clueless.

Tim Hydes' list spans quite a range of image styles but you should find some that fit what you are looking for. The two you cite originally however strike me as more straight documentary with embellishments.

Nate Potter, Washington DC.