Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide Angle Lens

Wide Angle Lens

I am after a wide angle Lens, currently my widest is Schneider 110XL, very happy with it, however I am after something wider for landscape to complement the 110 XL

What is your thoughts, considering focal length of 90, 80, 75 or 72.

Which one and why?

Re: Wide Angle Lens

Quote Originally Posted by more photography View Post
    I am after a wide angle Lens, currently my widest is Schneider 110XL, very happy with it, however I am after something wider for landscape to complement the 110 XL

Which one and why?
    By the way this is for a 5x4 format, and occassionally 6x12 roll film.

80 is a good spacing from 110, and it is light and has good coverage. 72 permits more movement, but unless doing architecture it probably won't be needed.

You should rent some from a dealer and see which focal length works best for you. No one here can tell you what will work best for your needs and shooting style.

Rodenstock 75mm Grandagon f4.5 or the 80mm XL, if you can afford it. The extra coverage and extra stop is worth the small amount of extra weight compared with the other 75mm/80mm, like the 75mm Super-Angulon. It also takes 67mm filters like the 110mm XL.

90mm is an overrated focal length in my opinion.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    You should rent some from a dealer and see which focal length works best for you. No one here can tell you what will work best for your needs and shooting style.
    Hi Bob

very true, would would like to see what others think and if they could share their experience.

The 75 mm works fine for me in 6x12
    It is like putting two standard 6x6 images side by side.
    And in 6x12 you do not need that much of coverage and you can go for the (discontinued) 75mm 6.8 grandagon-N
    A superb lens at a very affordable price, light weight, filters are smaller ad cheaper and the lens is easy to find as a second hand item.

Eric Woodbury

I have the 72XL, but don't use it much on 4x5. Love it for 5x7. I have the 58XL for 4x5. That is very wide and not on your list, but if it is too wide you can always crop the negative to whatever you want.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by more photography View Post

Which one and why?
    A Rodenstock 75mm f6.8 is quite reasonably priced if you can find one. 80 would be fine (I don't own one) if you can afford it. 90 is for me plenty wide and 90 mm f6.8 and f8 lenses are plentiful and quite reasonably priced. I actually would tend to use 90 mm more than 75 mm but that is mainly on 4x5. 75 is very wide on 4x5 (too wide???). If you do a lot with roll film then your needs may be different.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Kris Lockyear

I don't want to poach the OP's thread but my question is so similar it seems churlish to start a new one. I am just starting out in LF photography and have purchased a Horseman LE 5x4. My intention initially is to photograph church architecture. The last thing I need to get started is a wide angle lens and have been looking at getting a 90mm lens. Is this a good length for this type of photography? Any recommendations on make/model? Any to avoid at all costs?

Just for information, I have mainly been shooting 35mm and digital for quite some time and this is my first venture beyond medium format.

Many thanks, Kris (and apologies to the OP).