Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on Chamonix operations

Question on Chamonix operations

I have some questions about operability of the Chamonix 45 (which I suppose would apply to similar designs.)

Background: several years ago I owned an old Calumet 4x5, and also one of the very light Gowland hiker's 4x5. Only used them a bit before I left my interest in photography to pursue other matters. Then I went digital, but lately have returned to film, and now my interest in LF is again piqued.

When looking at the Chamonix, it appears as if the front rise and front tilt are controlled and locked with the same knobs. So, let's assume I've set up the camera, and went through the tilt-focus composition loop until I get the tilt just right. What happens then if I decide to add a bit of rise or fall to the front? Does the carefully selected tilt then go awry?

The same question would go for shift and swing of the front, but I expect that would not be such a problem as the center of gravity of the lens wouldn't be pulling in a direction to cause problems, unlike rise and tilt.

I am more attracted to using a camera with center tilt than base tilt, though I can see where a base tilt camera might be able to secure the positions with a bit less encumbrance.

Re: Question on Chamonix operations

You set rise first, then tilt while keeping the rise set with one hand. No big deal, I've owned cameras with independent rise and tilt knobs and others where the two movements are controlled by the same knob. Having independent knobs is slightly more convenient but not enough to really matter, at least to me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3d Visual Effects artist

Yes, to adjust rise, you'll most likely have to readjust your front tilt. However, it's very easy to keep your rise adjustment placed where it is when you adjust your tilt. I just snug the front standard knobs a little bit, then use my thumb to push the tilt back or forward. Having the knobs a little snug keeps the standard from moving up or down, but it's loose enough to adjust tilt with no problems. Once it's good, then snug them up a bit more and shoot :-)

I like how the 8x10 design has seperate knobs for rise and tilt. But I can see why they maybe didn't do that for the 4x5 model, it probably adds a bit of bulk and size.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I'm interested in buying the Chamonix 4x5, I was advised to ask some people who owned/used it how well it copes with a heavyish lens on? Something like a 90mm f4.5, for example?

Thanks.

I have used the Chamonix with a Super Angulon 5.6/90mm (similar to the 90mm f4.5 lenses in size and weight) and there was no problem with stability. The Chamonix is a sturdy camera.

Thanks anderson, that's great to hear. Also on the question of useability, does the camera have 'zero detents' or zero marks so that one can return to a known zero setup easily?

I understand what people are saying about not needing the separate adjustments for front tilt/rise and can see why you could keep a known rise easily while adjusting tilt. But what if you have adjusted tilt, and need to add some rise - surely it's not easy to keep that tilt angle? What would be a comparable camera in other respects, but also have separate adjusters for this?

James

No problems with the Nikkor 300 f5.6 or a Schneider APO-Tele Xenar Compact 400 f5.6. Both are big hunks of glass that sit way out there.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    Thanks anderson, that's great to hear. Also on the question of useability, does the camera have 'zero detents' or zero marks so that one can return to a known zero setup easily?
    rear tilt has a 90 degree stop (which can be moved aside if you want to tilt back), front tilt has a 90 degree stop (like the rear, can be moved aside if you want to tilt). rear swing is zeroed by feel and/or visual aids with markings, front swing is zeroed by visual markings, and front rise is zeroed by lining two dots up.

It does take a little longer to adjust back to zero than some other designs, but you get used to it quickly. The only thing that I would change (and I believe has been changed in later models from the factory) is to make the markings on the base plate more visible. on my 8x10 they are nice and visible, but the 4x5 is not as obvious in dim lighting.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Convert to LF

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    I'm interested in buying the Chamonix 4x5, I was advised to ask some people who owned/used it how well it copes with a heavyish lens on? Something like a 90mm f4.5, for example?

Thanks.
    I use regularly a Nikon 5.6/240 on my Chamonix 45, with maximum bellow extension. The tripod will likely waver before the Chamonix.

Thanks guys, that's very encouraging. It's sounding more and more like a great camera. I might be using either a Nikkor SW 90 4.5, or Fujinon 90 5.6, so it should handle those if it's OK with longer, heavier lenses...

What are the ground glass and fresnel like in use, nice and bright?

How is the range of movements with WA lenses (like a 90, or 75)?
    Last edited by jamesw; 16-Nov-2008 at 05:22.