Thread: Saved an Omega 5500 from the dumpster

Saved an Omega 5500 from the dumpster

What is the last thing I needed to do yesterday? That's right, driving an hour to get another enlarger. Guess what I did yesterday.

I feel good about my grab though, a free Omega 5500 with a few el-Nikkors and assorted darkroom miscellany. This thing looks brand new, fresh out of the box. Some things are missing though. I got the color computer, but not the color head, it is wearing the variable condenser head. Going to try to figure out if an Aristo coldlight can be fit.

I know I did not get all the items needed though, so I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the manual they could share. I searched the Omega Satter website, but found zero info on this model.

A picture of the assembled head would help me too. I am embarrassed to admit that I have no idea where the negative carrier goes. This thing looks so fancy gleaming next to my rusty old Beseler 45!

My better half is still grumbling...

Re: Saved an Omega 5500 from the dumpster

It sounds to me like you did just fine, especially the lenses. You've earned this 'new' enlarger to play with so, let your darkside grumble, as this too will pass, especially if you offer up a nice dinner out as a reward for indulging your 'excessive' nature

Heck, even if you end up passing this enlarger or darkroom items along to others you've kept usable film kit out of a landfill and available for work so it's worth the bother of a long drive or online search for a manual to keep traditional photography alive.

Cheers

This is all I have in digital form.

The negative carrier slides into a holder that freely rotates between the head and the chassis (#64 in the diagram).

I'd be interested in that controller if you don't want it. I regularly use two D5500s, let me know if you have more questions.

I, too, saved a D5500 from the dumpster. ic-racer was kind enough to send images showing how to repair the lift rollers and I was able to rehab it and make it operational.

I have located a paper copy of my Instruction Manual. If no one else has responded to your request, I will scan my copy. Please be patient, though. The manual is 26 pages and I need to allow a few days to get it done.
    al

Eric Woodbury

This sounds like one good dumpster. Area 51? 52?

Good work.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I have copied the user manual (28 pages) for the D5500, each page in jpeg format. The total manual is 70MB, which is way too large for email bandwidth. If anyone wishes a copy I can mail it on a CD.
    al