Thread: Uneven pyro stain.

Uneven pyro stain.

Hello everyone. I need some help.

I have recently started using Pyro PMK with FP4+ and the results have been wonderful; sharpness/edge effects/tonal separation etc etc. Just as everyone over the years has said, it really does combine abilities in a unique way. I intend to stick with it -and here's the but you've all been waiting for- but I am getting an uneven stain. In detail filled negs there is no problem, only in the sky, and only then when you burn-in, does it show. A clear blue sky fills with a mottling effect, reminiscent of the undersides of high grey clouds, eg there seems to be a subtle change in tone when there isn't one. Sometimes it forms diffuse snaking lines, but usually it's blotches. Sorry I don't have a scanner to show.

Here's how I process: Pre-soak/dev/wash x2 for a stop/fix in hypo/wash for 30 mins. I filter all water, use the PMK at 1:2:100 @ 21 celcius in a Combi-Plan tank and agitate every 15 seconds. I have tried randomising the agitation direction and have been slightly more aggressive with it to no avail. I find the post-soak in used dev. just adds aerial oxidation so have given it up, the negs still print perfectly on grade 2 Galerie.

I would like to stick with the pyro so do you have any suggestions for altering my protocol? Have you had to find a remedy too?

All help most gratefully received. Take care, have fun, Neilski.

Drew Wiley

Re: Uneven pyro stain.

FP-4 develops quite evenly in PMK, although it also scratches easily when wet. Your problem is probably the Combi-plan, which is infamous for uneven results. I always use trays, but other people have successfully used drums with a revised pyro formula.

Good answer Drew Wiley it will helps me also ...thanks for sharing ur Knowledge to every one.

I used a Combi Plan to process some negs which took some hard physical labor to get, then I got bad negs because I used the Combi Plan. I learned if you used it in the dark as a dip and dunk tank you won't have any problems.

Is it possible that the edge-effect part is taking slight variation in the sky and enhancing it, which is being enhanced by your burning-in?
    -Chris

I use a combi plan with pmk pyro, but not fp4, and have not had the trouble you describe.