Thread: Traveling with 6x17 cameras

Traveling with 6x17 cameras

Howdy,

Just wondering what bags/methods 6x17 shooters are using to carry these wide cameras. I usually fly with a Domke F4 or F2 as an under-the-seat carry-on with my laptop and a modicum of clothing and accessories in a Kelty Redwing in the overhead compartment.

For assignments, I work out of the Domke. For more remote backpacking trips, the DSLR gear goes into a holster case mounted to the front of my backpack harness and any larger camera gear or accessories (4x5, big zoom for the dslr -- depends on how much weight I can carry) goes into the frame pack bag.

How are y'all doing it?

-Brett

Re: Traveling with 6x17 cameras

When I went to Inner Mongolia in 2004 [a once-in-a-lifetime thing] I carried 3 Pentax 6x7 bodies, 90,165,300 lenses etc., and my Fuji 617 in the lens pointed down position in an under-the-seat case I made from a simple rectangular carry-on bag with a homemade cardboard separator/former designed to make it all fit and still be able to access what I needed at the moment easily, including a modicum of film. It worked well It was heavy, I'm older, now I can carry two bags cuz I avoid airplanes and the 6x7 bodies crapped out in the meantime , replace by a single.

I shoot with a 4x10 view camera. I have a custom made photobackpacker camera and lens case that go inside a granite gear 4500 backpack. The super light components of the photobackpacker and the great support system of the granite gear bag really help. I've hiked more than 20 miles in the high Sierras with it.

Thought I'd follow up my own thread with my current solution.

I ran across this $15 soft-side cooler at Eastern Mountain Sports, now on sale for $12 during their Nov 24th-30th sale. It fits my Gaoersi and Rodenstock 90mm ƒ/6.8 lens perfectly with space for dark cloth, ground glass, and padded drawstring bag for the viewfinder.

I like modular bags -- they're easy to drop into day packs, other cases, lumbar packs, my internal frame backpack, etc.