Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Please help me choose the right 4x5 field camera for me...

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: Please help me choose the right 4x5 field camera for me...

sounds to me like you just need to get one and start shooting :-)
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    Will I not be spending much more if I go for multiple cameras? Is a 5x7 not larger and heavier than a 4x5?

I just want a useful tool that will last me.
    No the exact opposite. The often suggested Calumet CC-401 long rail is a very cheap monorail to do macros with. The big 8x10s aren't much more these days. Most people just don't want to haul them around. If you're doing macros or even portraits and don't need to hike the hills for the portraits then the weight isn't a big deal. Plus if you ever want to try some of the big older lenses you'll be happier with a stronger camera.

Likewise the more common 4x5 field cameras aren't that expensive but they don't have very long bellows.

Buying multiple cameras for multiple goals ends up cheaper then trying to find one camera that ticks all the boxes.

This isn't like smaller formats. Almost any modern lens can be used on any modern camera with enough bellows. Lenses will end up being your most expensive item. The cameras aren't much more then boxes to hold the lenses.

The Shen 5x7 is something like 3kgs. The 8x10 is just over 4kg I think. That's less then some heavy 4x5s.

The tool that will last are the lenses. Almost all my lenses are on Linhof type boards. They can be used on my different cameras depending on the goal.

if you want a light 5x7 chechkout the Nagaoka in wood or the Gowland Pocket View if monorails are your favorite flavor.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I don't think I really want to mess with 5x7. I don't do my own processing, and 5x7 usually costs just as much to process as 8x10, so if I want a negative larger than 4x5 I'll probably just go 8x10. That is for the future, if ever.

Another thing though, Nick, is that I actually like to do portraits in the woods, on hikes and whatnot. One session I did recently for a friend was a portrait of her and her cello through some local trails. Nice long, relaxing hike and some amazing pictures.

I just retired after shooting Commercial for 55 years and used every format from 8x10 down to 35mm. I also taught at a Community College for 7 years nights. I always asked my students in what direction they want to go from school. A hobby or serious about a profession.
    This then leads into equipment. A $2000 investment is not for you if you're not serious. There are many 4x5 cameras out there used and new available. For several hundred dollars such as Calumet that are well built and always keep their market value.
    Buy from a reliable dealer that has been in business for a number of years that sell to pros also, if any thing go wrong and you can talk to. If you are in a small town, go to a large city near you or get to know a commercial photographer in you area who are willing to give you a little time to talk to.
    In a couple of years from now, is the equipment going to sit on the shelf collecting dust? In all the years I was teaching Basic Commercial Photography, of the 200 or so students, only 5 went on to be a full time shooter. I don't want to sound discouraging but I tell it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by marcojoe View Post
    I just retired after shooting Commercial for 55 years and used every format from 8x10 down to 35mm. I also taught at a Community College for 7 years nights. I always asked my students in what direction they want to go from school. A hobby or serious about a profession.
    This then leads into equipment. A $2000 investment is not for you if you're not serious. There are many 4x5 cameras out there used and new available. For several hundred dollars such as Calumet that are well built and always keep their market value.
    Buy from a reliable dealer that has been in business for a number of years that sell to pros also, if any thing go wrong and you can talk to. If you are in a small town, go to a large city near you or get to know a commercial photographer in you area who are willing to give you a little time to talk to.
    In a couple of years from now, is the equipment going to sit on the shelf collecting dust? In all the years I was teaching Basic Commercial Photography, of the 200 or so students, only 5 went on to be a full time shooter. I don't want to sound discouraging but I tell it as it is.
    I wonder if the original poster has already given up LF in the past three years :-)

It looks like you are near NYC. Why not find a pro shop that rents gear and test drive some cameras first.

Bob

After looking around for a while on this forum I ended up buy a used Toyo 45G. I hope it's not too much for a beginner, but having never touched a LF camera before I probably wouldn't know the difference.
    "I love the smell of mercury in the morning."