Thread: Photography show, Western Reserve Historical Society: Cleveland, Ohio

Photography show, Western Reserve Historical Society: Cleveland, Ohio

I am having a solo photography show at the Western Reserve Historical Society: 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.

The show opens Oct. 24 and will close Jan. 15. It is three shows combined. There is a touring exhibit on “Building America’s Canals. They have a model layout of a river, mine and city. You build a canal using locks, aqueducts, bridges, tunnels. The kids have fun. The engineers are given cost - benefits to figure a real canal based on tools chosen. The Museum is bringing out all their vintage canal pictures and I will have thirty 7"x17” contact silver prints showing how I see it today. Ten of the images were commissioned by the museum for the show. This is my first museum show so things are pretty excited at our house.

“Friday October 24, 2008
    Opening: Building America's Canals

"Come in and learn all about a historic form of transportation with this hands-on exhibit for children and families that explores the history and technology of transportation canals that were built in 19th-century America. John Powers uses a special 7”x17” camera to create stunning studies of the Ohio & Erie Canal today - on display at the WRHS from October 24 to mid-January.

“Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:00pm
    John Powers’ Ohio & Erie Canal Photographs

"John Powers uses a special 7”x17” camera to create stunning studies of the Ohio & Erie Canal which are on display at the WRHS. Learn from John how he composes his photos to show the fascinating results of the battle of age, the devastating effects of flood, neglect and nature on the canal - once a beautifully constructed work of engineering. Free with museum admission. “ http://www.wrhs.org/index.php/homepa...gramsandevents

John

Re: Photography show, Western Reserve Historical Society: Cleveland, Ohio

Way to go John..Congrats.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Thanks. I enjoyed meeting you and Vinny at dinner in Michigan even though Ted and I had to deal with your carrot cake envy. I really like your work and your website design.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    I am having a solo photography show at the Western Reserve Historical Society: 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.

The show opens Oct. 24 and will close Jan. 15. It is three shows combined. There is a touring exhibit on “Building America’s Canals. They have a model layout of a river, mine and city. You build a canal using locks, aqueducts, bridges, tunnels. The kids have fun. The engineers are given cost - benefits to figure a real canal based on tools chosen. The Museum is bringing out all their vintage canal pictures and I will have thirty 7"x17” contact silver prints showing how I see it today. Ten of the images were commissioned by the museum for the show. This is my first museum show so things are pretty excited at our house.

“Friday October 24, 2008
    Opening: Building America's Canals

"Come in and learn all about a historic form of transportation with this hands-on exhibit for children and families that explores the history and technology of transportation canals that were built in 19th-century America. John Powers uses a special 7”x17” camera to create stunning studies of the Ohio & Erie Canal today - on display at the WRHS from October 24 to mid-January.

“Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:00pm
    John Powers’ Ohio & Erie Canal Photographs

"John Powers uses a special 7”x17” camera to create stunning studies of the Ohio & Erie Canal which are on display at the WRHS. Learn from John how he composes his photos to show the fascinating results of the battle of age, the devastating effects of flood, neglect and nature on the canal - once a beautifully constructed work of engineering. Free with museum admission. “ http://www.wrhs.org/index.php/homepa...gramsandevents

John
    Hey John, if you don't already know the Society for Photographic Education Midwest Regional conference is in Cleveland from Nov. 6-8, downtown at the Wyndham. There will be a good size crowd on hand, perhaps there will be an opportunity to get over to see the work.

cheers
    -Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    Hey John, if you don't already know the Society for Photographic Education Midwest Regional conference is in Cleveland from Nov. 6-8, downtown at the Wyndham. There will be a good size crowd on hand, perhaps there will be an opportunity to get over to see the work.

cheers
    -Darryl
    Thank you. Several of my Professors are going. I am trying to see if I can sit in on some of the presentations. I can't go to the whole conference.

John

Having seen John's 7x17 work up close, I can say that more than mere images of Ohio's past - John shows how a master photographer can poinently present history and art for everyone to savor.

Congratulations John on your outstanding images and concept to show the enduring beauty in the Erie Canal's once mighty structures.

Flauvius
    Robert J. Triffin

Quote Originally Posted by Flauvius View Post
    Having seen John's 7x17 work up close, I can say that more than mere images of Ohio's past - John shows how a master photographer can poinently present history and art for everyone to savor.

Congratulations John on your outstanding images and concept to show the enduring beauty in the Erie Canal's once mighty structures.

Flauvius
    Robert J. Triffin
    Thanks Robert.

John

John,

Congratulations on this. I'm pleased to have seen some of the first images you made of the canals, and I'm sure that all the hard work you have been doing has paid off in a great exhibit. Keep it going...

---Michael

Thanks Michael. I was hooked on Phillips 7x17, camera and format, when I followed you around the green houses several years ago and listened to you think through setting up images. Thank you for the start and encouragement along the way.

John