Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about framing photos

A question about framing photos

Many of my customers are asking for wood frames so I am investigating what that means. The nice thing about metal frames is that I can easily recycle them for better selling images. This is harder to do with wood frames.

To address this issue, I am looking at the Fletcher Fleximaster point driver which can be found at http://www.framingsupplies.com/Fletc...ointDriver.htm. It uses a flexible nail to hold the artwork in place. The nail is designed to be bent so that the art work can be easily replaced. Has anyone here used this new tool? Does it really work?

Re: A question about framing photos

Although I don't have any experience with these new flexible framers points, I have extensive experience with the standard framers points and point driver. It is an indispensable tool when doing wood frames. They are very easy, reliable and can be easily removed. I tend to frame a piece for sale and don't remove it from the frame. If I want to swap it out for another it is not a big deal to remove the points. I have a local framing supply wholesaler and will check with him later today. He may have info on this new product.

Just to be different, I use a brad pusher and small brads on my wood frames. The brads are easy to remover with needle-nose pliers.

Brad pusher:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3659

Vaughn

I bought mine at the local hardware store. -- it also has a magnet inside...allows one to pick up a brad without having to pick one up in one's fingers and drop it down the barrel. A bit of force is needed for hardwood frames, but others are a breeze.

Robert, I look forward to what you can find out about this new tool.

Vaughn, thanks for the alternative suggestion. At this pint everything is on the table.

I have had pre-made frames sent to me with flexible points, and I do not like them. They seem to fall out easily. And while it makes it easy to pop out an existing prints/mat/glass/ backing board, it isn;t nearly so easy to insert a new sandwich (without hanging the sandwich up on one or more points).

I use standard framing points. It isn't that hard to remove them using needle nose pliers. The bigger pain, for me, in re-using a wood frame is removing the dust seal. It is hard to remove that and apply a new one and not have messy edges from the original adhesive.

I have a flexipoint driver gun and have started using flexipoints for all my wood framed prints. In general, I like them and if you use a decent gun and the tension is set correctly, they shouldn't be falling out. Once in a while I have a single point fall out, but I place enough points that it isn't an issue. If you replace artwork, a few points may fall out and need to be replaced, but it's not a big deal. As long as you have a good point driver, either the traditional or the flexipoints will do the job.

Consider the Logan Dual Point Driver:

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...?cata_id=10232

It's half the price of other drivers, and works quite well. It does require that you use the proprietary points that are listed on the above site, but they work and they're not expensive. I've used the flexi-points only so far, but I will likely use the rigid points on pieces that I've framed for a committed buyer.
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I have a flexipoint driver gun and have started using flexipoints for all my wood framed prints. In general, I like them and if you use a decent gun and the tension is set correctly, they shouldn't be falling out. Once in a while I have a single point fall out, but I place enough points that it isn't an issue. If you replace artwork, a few points may fall out and need to be replaced, but it's not a big deal. As long as you have a good point driver, either the traditional or the flexipoints will do the job.
    Barry, will the flex nails hold for large prints in the size of 30x60 or 40x50? Is it fairly easy to swap a print?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    Barry, will the flex nails hold for large prints in the size of 30x60 or 40x50? Is it fairly easy to swap a print?
    Stephen- I've generally been framing 16x20ish prints in frames smaller than 30", although I have done a few in 27"x39" frames. Swapping prints is fairly easy as long as you make sure to bend the points all the way back. For really large prints, I'd probably use conventional points to maximize the stability of the unit.

Michael E. Gordon

All you need is a Fletcher Pullmate and a Fletcher Point Driver. You can drive points and pull 'em all day long with these two tools. The flexipoints suck and eventually break.