Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uneven Skies w Pyrocat and Foma in 8x10

Uneven Skies w Pyrocat and Foma in 8x10

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting even skies using pyrocat-hd at 1:100, 3 liters per 11x14 tray, and foma film in 8x10, and am curious whether this is a problem of technique or materials. I should say that I'm tray processing and developing by inspection, and that my dev temperature at present is around 74-75 deg. Not every neg w skies shows unevenness, and negs without skies show none, at least that shows up on a print. The kind of unevenness is of 2 types. Either along the edge of the sky, when there's a small amount of sky at the top, and it looks like a sine wave (loosely speaking) alternating areas of lighter and darker sky. The other type is where in a large expanse of sky, there'll be blotches or spots in the middle.
    So, would cooler developer make a difference, or is it a matter of especially finicky materials when it comes to sky tones? Any and all pointers are appreciated.

GB

Re: Uneven Skies w Pyrocat and Foma in 8x10

Just to add, I presoak for 3-4 mins., use a stopa bath, and don't have a scanner to show you the actual negs.

How do you agitate your film - and how often ?

I try to use a developing time of 10 minutes at minimum, even though it takes longer that way. Longer development times give you time to perform DBI - especially if you use an infra red viewer - and reduce small timing differences when working with many sheets at the same time.

I routinely develop 20 negatives at the same time, using Sterilite food containers instead of trays.

You might consider diluting the developer more, if you can't lower the temperature.

what are your development times? i am no expert but i will take a stab.

how many sheets do you do at once?

how do you put the film into the developer? one sheet at a time, making sure it is fully submerged is what i do. i made a mistake a while back and put more than one sheet in and they kinda stuck together just long enough to give me problems.

i also use foma100 and pyro. maybe try this once and see how you do. 20C 1:1:100 for 12 min. or 2:2:100 for 6 min. presoak.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Hi,

I shuffle film constantly, put in 1 sheet at a time, dev for about 10 mins at 74 deg for foma 200 at 1:1:100.

Are your hands clean ? Is the film clean ?

Have you tried a different brand of film ?

Have you tried a different size of film ?

As I commented over on another forum, FOMA has to be the most "finnicky" film in regards to getting even development.

...FOMA has to be the most "finnicky" film..
    Agreed, both the 100 and the 200.
    Been rolling them in an expert drum in Pyrocat HD and was having all sort of uneven dev issues when none of the Ilford stuff was giving me trouble. Had to resort to longer presoak, more developer, pouring the chemicals while drum is turning, and manually inverting the rotation every minute (I roll it on a uniroller base that has been set to roll one direction only). Now I finally get good results. And I think foma is beatiful stuff when developed properly.

I develop 2 sheets of 7x17 at a time, back to back. I use 12 minutes with 5 minute pre-soak. Agitate first 30 seconds and then 5 seconds each 30 seconds. Agitation is accomplished by turning the sheets over 3 times each 30 seconds. No streaks or uneven skies plague me.

It sounds like FOMA may seem more affordable at first, but one pays the price eventually.