Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Surveyor's Tripod

Recommend a Surveyor's Tripod

Can anyone recommend a make and or model to look at? I need a tripod for my 8X10 and I googled surveyor's tripod and the choices are overwhelming. I'm trying to be frugal but want a good solid platform for my 8X10.

Take care,

Jim

Re: Recommend a Surveyor's Tripod

I think an all wood model, as opposed to an aluminum one or one made from wood and fiberglass, will dampen the vibrations more. I use a Sokkia brand, but I don't think it any better than other all wood models.

I'd go w an old Ries A, much more useful and lighter, use it headless at first and save up for a ries head. That's what I did, works great.

Here is one that looks interesting

http://fineartphotosupply.com/fieldtripodspage.htm

If you are thinking about a wood tripod I would suggest a Ries. You will be getting a refined head design - the leg adjusting/locking on a Ries will be worth the extra money. You will need to adapt a survey tripod head and most survey tripod legs can not be locked at an angel. Also, a Ries will be lighter - the surveyor's tripods I have handled have been heavier.

This one is actually a camera tripod made by company which main production are surveyor's tripods.
    Full with mission!

Dutch Hill does look to make interesting tripods. They've never responded to any of my inquiries though.

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Can anyone recommend a make and or model to look at? I need a tripod for my 8X10 and I googled surveyor's tripod and the choices are overwhelming. I'm trying to be frugal but want a good solid platform for my 8X10.
    The OP is looking for an inexpensive surveyor's tripod as a way to save money on a tripod capable of supporting an 8x10 camera.

The Fine Art Photo Supply tripod costs $420. I used to have one of those beasts back when Zone VI was selling them (I got mine on sale for $199.00). I bought it to use with an 11x14 Kodak 2D. The good news was rock solid steady. The bad new was it weighed more than the 11x14 camera and folded up about as "small" as a 12-man tent. As a result, it never made it more than 100 feet from the truck - and that's back when I was young and in good shape. With the Microsoft Live search cashback rebate currently running at 30%, the OP could get a carbon fiber tripod that would adequately support his 8x10 camera, weigh less than 5 lbs. and cost nearly $200 less than this behemoth.

While the Dutch Hill is quite a bit lighter, I suspect it's also quite a bit more expensive. I haven't checked the prices in years, but back in the mid-1990s their carbon fiber models started at about $900.

Kerry Thalmann

Lascassas, TN

I just picked up a used Aluminum tripod from Stakemill in Largo, FL. It was a CST / Berger for $30. They had more available. (727 538-0886). I have looked at several new units for less than $100. I think most of them would work. Check Craig’s list or the rental places for used tripods. I have not tried the CST yet. I am still working on an adapter for a head.

Good Luck.
    Bill Kumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Donchev View Post
    This one is actually a camera tripod made by company which main production are surveyor's tripods.
    I've used the Dutch Hill surveyor tripod, and I didn't think it was as stable or solid as the all wood surveyor tripods. My all wood surveyor tripod is the most stable and solid tripod I've every used for 8x10, but, at 15 pounds, it is very heavy and bulky.

I have seen used wooden surveyor tripods on Craig's list for around $50. A local surveyor supply would probably have used wooden tripods for around $100.