Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have an old Epson 1280 collecting dust

Have an old Epson 1280 collecting dust

Howdy,

I'm using an Epson 3800 these days and love the output. However, I've got an old Epson 1280 sitting around collecting dust and have been wondering if there's any logic to converting it to a monochrome-only printer using a CIS and something like Jon Cone's Piezography system. Are there any advantages to a monochrome-only printer over the latest Epson K3 printers for B+W prints?

Thanks!
    -Brett

Re: Have an old Epson 1280 collecting dust

Better than it collects dust. Grin.

I think you could find a better machine out there for a monochrome printer.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

lazy retired bum

I too have an Epson 1280, which I no longer use for photography since I too have a 3800. I cannot believe you will get better black and white prints than with the K3 inks in the 3800. I suspect that the hassle of setting up the 1280 with another ink set will just divert time, money and energy from other more worthwhile pursuits. I have kept my 1280 to use for printing documents. It works well, has not clogged, and is cheaper to run than printing credit card statements and other similar stuff on the 3800. If you really do not plan to use it, I suspect there is a school or other worthwhile group who could put it to use.

Eric

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Forget all that carbon powder, custom cartridge, special driver, can't-see-what-you'll-get piezo nonsense. It is a pain in the ass.

Life got real when the 4800 came out. Go with epson.

Thanks, guys. That's about what I figured. Just hate to see hardware go to waste, even if that hardware was a major PITA in its lifetime.

I have a 3800 and a 1280. In the past it would have made a lot of sense to use the 1280 as a monochrome-only printer but not today. For $50 you can get Roy Harrington's QTR for your 3800 and make better b&w prints, plus have more toning flexibility, than you'd get with monochrome inks in the 1280. But I wouldn't let the 1280 just sit there. Plug it in and use it for documents and other non-photographic things. The longer you can delay paying $500 for a new ink set for your 3800 the better. That's what I've done and it seems to pay off, I've had my 3800 for a year and a half and I'm still on the ink set that came with it. Not sure why your 1280 was a PITA, mine has been a great printer since I bought many years ago, never had a clog, never had a problem of any kind.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I agree that the 3800 is capable of exquisite prints. I use one myself. But many knowledgeable people would argue that making black and white prints from colored inks creates more archival issues than using monotone inks. Some colored inks are shown to be the first to fade in some tests. If you have ever had a colored ink clog on your 3800 you can see how much importance certain colors play in the final "black and white" result. When the K3 colored inks fade they create both density loss and a color shift whereas monotone inks just lose density.

You can read more about this here:
    http://www.inkjetmall.com/store/info...s.html#explain

Therefore, the belief is that the prints from monochrome inks fade more acceptably.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm still using my 1270 - I'm jealous of you guys with a 1280...

I'd use it for Jon Cone's Piezography K6 inks. Much better than K3 B&W, the only drawback being that it is fixed tone. I don't think you can buy cartridges anymore in the US which is a shame as the investment in a CIS/bottles is quite high if for any reason you don't like it. I'd suggest you phone Cone for samples before going down this route.

David Whistance

See Paul Roark's website for more information on how to continue using your 1280 for black and white prints. http://paulroark.com/

Or Clayton Jones' site http://www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm

Kumar