Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&H Photo Return Policy?

B&H Photo Return Policy?

My wife bought a digital camera from B&H on 10/5 - it was the new Canon Powershot G10. Early this week, she decided that it was too much camera for her needs, so she went to return it. B&H has a two-week return policy.

However, the store is closed for various Jewish holidays rather frequently, including from 10/14 thru 10/22, which spans the end of the two week return period.

Anyone know if they give you a hard time over this? Neither of us are looking forward to dealing with it.....

Thanks!
    --A

multiplex

Re: B&H Photo Return Policy?

alec

henry posner is a nice person to deal with - very accessible and understanding.
    telephone him and speak with him directly. when i was in a pickle, he was very helpful.

good luck!

john

When I tried to return a defective scanner a couple weeks after the return period had expired (because I had been working with the tech support people trying to get it to work) B&H refused to take the return so I ended up being out $1000 (never could get it to consistently work properly despite several repair efforts). Henry Posner was a complete jerk about the whole thing, a ruder, more arrogant individual I've seldom met. That's why I stopped dealiing with B&H and now deal only with Adorama when buying from NY mail order places. If I were you I'd be absolutely certain you get it back within the return period so you don't have to deal with [Ed: No Insults]
    Last edited by QT Luong; 24-Oct-2008 at 23:07.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Scott Davis

Brian-

I'm frankly surprised at your reaction to Henry. I've had great success dealing with him when I had a problem. I ordered something, the fulfillment people at the warehouse loaded the box wrong, then sent me a duplicate item that was in the box, not what was missing, so I contacted Henry. He got the right thing to me, at no additional cost, and told me to keep the duplicate item as an apology. Maybe he was having a bad day- nobody's perfect.

Alec, Simply call BHPV as soon as they open back up and ask for an RMA #. Don't send it in without an RMA. Make sure you have all the packaging, return the camera to the box and relax - no worries. BHPV won't use their holiday as a means to sidestep their return policy. PS: the yak is doing well.

Bob

If you look at the view profile post you will see that Henry has started posting on the LF board again. His email is:

henryp@bhphotovideo.com

Brian, sorry to hear about your experience - perhaps there are other issues to the situation.

IMHO, B&H is triple gold plated.

Alec,

I would send an e-mail requesting an RMA number just to document it and then call to follow up.

bernal

Dave Karp

I have never had a problem with B&H, even when returning an expensive wide angle lens for my Mamiya 645. They have always taken everything back, no questions asked.

Never had to talk to Mr. Posner to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Brian-

I'm frankly surprised at your reaction to Henry. I've had great success dealing with him when I had a problem. I ordered something, the fulfillment people at the warehouse loaded the box wrong, then sent me a duplicate item that was in the box, not what was missing, so I contacted Henry. He got the right thing to me, at no additional cost, and told me to keep the duplicate item as an apology. Maybe he was having a bad day- nobody's perfect.
    Scott - My problems with Posner extended over a period of a week or two, not just a day. In your case it sounds like B&H had clearly messed up the shipping on your order. My situation involved a defective product (i.e. the manufacturer's fault, not B&H's). Posner kept telling me that they wouldn't take it back and that my remedy was to send it in for warranty repair. I didn't want to do that because after spending many fruitless hours with Linoscan's tech support people trying to get the scanner to work, I decided that the scanner was a dog and I wanted nothing more to do with it. I didn't realize at the time that the two week return time related to defective goods as well as returns for other reasons. Anyhow, it was a long time ago and I don't go out of my way to bash B&H and Posner. But the OP asked about returns to B&H after expiration of the return period and since that was my situation I thought I should relate my experience.

As an aside, when B&H refused to accept a return of the scanner and refund my money I sent it in for repair. IIRC it worked right for a while after that but eventually the same problems cropped up again. I sent it in again, this time it came back without being fixed. At that point I bought an Epson scanner and eventually took the Linoscan to the dump.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.