Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Work of Jim Galli

The Work of Jim Galli

I really do like the look of the work that Jim Galli produces. There is something about the lower contrast looking photographs that do appeal to me.

Not really knowing much about lenses, would it be possible to use an old low contrast lens on say a Chamonix 045N-2 4x5 camera

Re: The Work of Jim Galli

If the lens is mounted in a shutter, there's no problem as long as it isn't too large of heavy. If you want to shoot barrel-mounted lenses, you have a variety of options, some more convenient than others.

Thanks Ken for the information

'Never liked soft-focused anything. 'Pinholes, Holga. Yuck. Then I saw Jim Galli's work.

Ian, I have an 11 inch meniscus from Jim. It is mounted in a Betax shutter, and I use it on my Toyo 45AII. Great lens for its soft effect and focal length on 4x5. Here are two example images with this lens and the Toyo, both with TXP 320.

American Holly by _uplift_, on Flickr

Lamp by _uplift_, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Ian, I have an 11 inch meniscus from Jim. It is mounted in a Betax shutter, and I use it on my Toyo 45AII. Great lens for its soft effect and focal length on 4x5. Here are two example images with this lens and the Toyo, both with TXP 320.
    These are beautiful to my eyes, this is exactly the look I am striving for. I have searched eBay but to be honest not really sure what i am looking for but the look you have in these photographs are certainly what I am striving for

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    These are beautiful to my eyes, this is exactly the look I am striving for. I have searched eBay but to be honest not really sure what i am looking for but the look you have in these photographs are certainly what I am striving for
    If you look at the bay again, Theres a couple of Dallmeyer Patent landscape lenses.... if you unscrew the lens and use it in a shutter you can get very nice soft tone images...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dallmeyer2.jpg   have2.jpg  

The only issue I would have with no shutter is judging the exposure time properly although as I use slow films Fomapan rated at EI50 I might be ok on these dark winter days

What about contacting Jim directly and asking him to make you a lens in a shutter? Is he still doing this?

Shutters are easy to find for brass and other old lenses. The most common in the UK are ThorntonPickard roller blind shuters, I've just fitted one to a Wista/Linhof size board so a member of this forum can use a Dagor on a field camera, they can also be front mounted on a lens which I do with a 10" Petzval I restored although larger TP shutters are harder to find.

Other alternatives are Luc and similar front mounting shutters, a Focal Plane back, a Packard shutter, Norka etc there's plenty of possibilities. Look up Guillotine shutters they are quiet easy to make, in fact I'm sure Jim Galli has written about using them.

I deliberately missed an easier option which is to find a Speed Graphic, or an MPP MicroPress, these have focal plane shutters and can be used with any focal length lens that will fit with or without a shutter.

Be aware that not all old uncoated lenses are low contrast, Dagors, Protars and similar have excellent contrast close to coated and even multi-coated modern lenses because they only have two internal air/glass surfaces. The more internal air/glass surfaces the greater the internal flare and the lower the contrast.

Ian