Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Schneider Symmar 210/370mm convertible lens - Newbie Question

Linhof Schneider Symmar 210/370mm convertible lens - Newbie Question

So my new lens came for my newly aquired Ansco 8x10. It's a Linhof Schneider Symmar 210/370mm convertible lens. It looks to be in good shape and the shutter functions nicely, however there doesn't appear to be any diaphram. Is this normal for this type of lens? All it seems to be is two elements one on each side of the shutter. Can someone explain this one to me?

Much appreciated,

Jim

Re: Linhof Schneider Symmar 210/370mm convertible lens - Newbie Question

Which shutter is it in?

If the shutter's faceplate is marked Polaroid MP-4, you've been had. These Copal Press #1 shutters have no diaphragm.

The convertible Symmar is actually three elements in two groups on each side of the shutter. The diaphragm and aperture scale should be evident in looking at it. I have seen some shutters without a diaphragm taken from a Polaroid MP-4 copy camera which are made to mount behind a barrel lens. You would not want a shutter with no diaphragm.

The 210 Symmar will not cover the 8x10 format at infinity. Data on the 210 Symmar is available at:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...lenses/symmar/

The speed dial on the shutter says" Prontor-Press" it's B-T-125. The markings on the lens are:

Schneider-Kreuznach 641174 Technika Symmar 1:5.6/210 1:12/370

Jim

The seller also told me that it covered 8X10.....looks like I have a nice paperweight...

Just buy a new Copal 1 shutter and you will be back in business. You will have to have a aperture scale made if you don't know how to do it yourself. It's a nice lens normally.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

If you use this search string polaroid (cu-5, ds-34, gel-cam, gelcam) on eBay, you'll find a camera or lens that has the shutter you need, a Copal Press #1 with speeds B, T, 1, 1/2, ... , 1/125 and a diaphragm. You want one fitted with a 127/4.7 Tominon; those with other lenses won't do. 1/125 should be fast enough for most situations. $60 is towards the high end of the range these things sell for. Much less expensive than a new cock-and-shoot #1 or #1 Press.

The shutter will have to be re-scaled. Alternatively, you'll have to find the marked aperture at which the entrance pupil just disappears, treat that as f/5.6 (or f/12 for the rear cell alone) and then count stops down from that to get the one you want. I'm using an ex-CU-5 Copal 1 Press that way. Takes thinking, but so does shooting LF.

aduncanson's right, the lens won't do for 8x10. Have you considered burning the seller's house down?

Been considered but Bulgaria is a bit far away. I'll grab one of those shutters and maybe resell it to get a lens that will actually work on my camera.....

Not to be confrontational, but have any of you actually tried using a 210 Symmar on 8x10. It will definately illuminate 8x10, thoughwill be slightly soft at the very edges. Schneider is extremely conservative on coverage issues, and if you are willing to relax your definition of sharpness (e.g. for contact prints), a 210 works fine. This image was shot with a 210 Symmar, I didn't check the corners after a swing and drop, square on the lens illuminates the entire gg with room to spare:

This was shot with the same lens, centered and very little to no movements:

Both images were shot on Photo Warehouse Fine Grain positive dupe film (at around an EI of 6 or so). It doesn't cover like a 240, 300 or 360 Symmar, but if that's all you have it can and does work just fine.

Wink Re: Linhof Schneider Symmar 210/370mm convertible lens - Newbie Question

Don't worry about the coverage. 1/3 of my 8X10 I use my 210mm Symmar stop down to at less F/22 (slightly dark corner). Better than pay a lot of money buy a XL lens. Buy some film holders and take more pictures. Enjoy