Thread: Horseman 6x12

Horseman 6x12

I just acquired a Horseman 6x12 120 back for my Toyo 45AX. Everything looks quite familiar compared with MF 120 backs but I can't figure out the film advance. I reckon that you load the film as normal in the insert and use the advance lever until you see "something" in the window in the pressure plate - presumably the "start" marker. You then close the back and use the advance lever. The counter window moves from "s" to "1" after a couple of cranks. However what happens now? I've figured that the little lever underneath the advance lever does something but I can't figure it out. Sometimes the advance locks after a couple of cranks, sometimes not, and not always at the next counter window. Must be simple. Searched this forum and the internet for the last day or so but haven't turned anything up, so any advice and wisdom would be much appreciated

Richard Tugwell

Re: Horseman 6x12

You don't touch the little slider-thingy during the initial loading. Once you're at "1" on the counter, you move the little slider after the exposure to unlock the film advance lever, then you operate the film advance lever until it locks again, at which point the film is in position for the next exposure and you start a new cycle. I've never used the 6x12 Horseman rollholder, but on my 6x9 Horseman rollholders it takes a bit less than two full strokes of the wind lever before it locks for the next exposure.

Thanks for the quick reply Owen. I'll do a few more trials using this sequence.

It's just to prevent the unwanted double exposure.

Thanks everyone - this forum is certainly making my entry into LF a lot easier. I'd like to add a comment I received from another LFF user privately which explains my confusion about the "inconsistencies" when cranking and might be useful for another newcomer

"Oren is right, push the silver thingy after each shutter release and crank the lever. You will notice that with each shot, the amount of cranking to get ready for the next shot gets less and less. The cranking required is not the same for each shot as you move to the last shot. That threw me off at the beginning."

I just received a new (used) one, and am not sure what the process for loading is. On most roll film cameras I've had, you match the arrow on the film backing with some kind of reference point on the back. I don't see any such mark on the Horseman 6x12.

Is the circular hole in the pressure plate used to see some kind of marking on the back of the 120 film backing? If that's the case, do you then (having matched the reference thru the window), close the back and advance the winder until it stops at #1? Or do you just load the film onto the takeup spool, close, and wind until #1 shows ?

Or none of the above?

Thanks,

Rick

You have to load the paper end (beginning ☺) of the roll film into the spool, advance with the lever until the black arrow shows up in the circular hole in the pressure plate, then close the door and advance the film until #1 appears in the film counter window. Ready to shoot.

Thank you, Aender! Much appreciated.

Rick

Hope this helps. It took me a while to figure it out:
    1. Crank film until the arrow is seen in the middle of the hole.
    2. Close and lock the assembly. Crank fully until counter stops and shows frame #1.
    3. Pull darkslide and shoot.
    4. Push top lever to left to unlock advance.
    3. Push crank lever all the way toward camera back every time you advance the film. Failure to do this will result in overlapping of frames. I know I've done this.

Have fun

Tom