Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Yer Still Lifes take 2

Re: Post Yer Still Lifes take 2

Thanks Jim! That film pack holder should be simple to convert for doing plates. Now that Bostick and Sullivan has wet plate kits, the whole process should be easier--at least starting out. It took me 6 months to get everything together. That no name lens is definitely a keeper.

another...

mary coulter

This was done with a new 2 me 14 1/2" Bausch and Lomb Tessar 1C. It's late, and one of the black coated Burke and James lenses that have been floating around recently. I mechanically seperated element 1 and 2 in front to give a soft focus effect similar to the Velostigmat's. I'm beginning to really go for the more subtle look in my old age. I may be young again next week though.

Smile Re: Post Yer Still Lifes take 2

.... beginning to really go for the more subtle look in my old age. I may be young again next week though. [/QUOTE]

Nice job Jim, subtle tunning !
    How big... is old ?

50 seconds exposure onto preflashed grade 2 paper negative, 8"x10" nested box camera, 275mm industrial meniscus lens stopped down to ~F/24-ish.

~Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
    50 seconds exposure onto preflashed grade 2 paper negative, 8"x10" nested box camera, 275mm industrial meniscus lens stopped down to ~F/24-ish.

~Joe
    I've seen this before, on another site!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
    Very cool - have you posted any info about this camera? I'd like to know more

Also, what other info can you give us about the lens - any maker or model? I can't think of any "industrial meniscus" lens that I've ever seen.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Lovely work, everyone....

Not a 'classic' still life, but the place was shut down and quite still. Made in the Gladding McBean Pottery factory in Lincoln, CA. Ebony SV45U, Astia 100.

Last edited by Jeffrey Sipress; 29-Mar-2010 at 11:37.

That's really stunning, Jeffrey!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    Very cool - have you posted any info about this camera? I'd like to know more

Also, what other info can you give us about the lens - any maker or model? I can't think of any "industrial meniscus" lens that I've ever seen.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Here's the story on building the camera, over on the F295 forums.

The lens is from a salvaged Nikon stepper, a photo-lithographic machine used in the semiconductor industry to print patterns on silicon wafers. Single element, about 4" diameter, convex on the rear side and slightly concave on the front, about 275mm focal length visually. Sits in a machined aluminum housing. This is just one of many optical components in such a machine. The optics are designed around short UV wavelengths.

I have a much larger lens assembly from such a machine, 1 meter focal length, 8" diameter, 2 element lens in a heavy steel housing. I'm trying to convince myself not to build a 6-foot-long, 11"x14" portrait camera operating at a 1:1 reproduction ratio.

~Joe

PS: Two more images from this morning, both using a 150mm f.l. objective lens cell from a 7x50 binocular as a closeup lens. The first at 7mm aperture, about F/45, 45 second exposure; the second at 34mm aperture, about F/8, 2 second exposure, both on preflashed paper negatives (hence the darker flesh tones in the portrait):

"Coffee beans":

"Noah":

Linhof MT2000, verito SF 7 1/4 inch @4.5, pyrocatmc
    quiet-light.blogspot.com