Thread: Questions about Old 4X5

Questions about Old 4X5

Hi everyone, I am hoping you can tell me what I have.
    My background is with 35mm, having just retired my Nikon system after 30 + yrs. and gone digital.
    My son knew I had a number old cameras collected and got this 4X5 camera and an enlarger from a friend of his.
    So my question to the forum, is it very old , of any use or value.
    I am hoping someone might recognize the name or anything else. I have looked around the forum and did not see anything quite like it.
    It is too large to go with my collection and have not done any darkroom work for years, so what can I do with it.
    Thankyou,
    Martin

Re: Questions about Old 4X5

This is the enlarger and it's lens.

Martin

Jim Ewins

Somehow my reply got lost, you may contact me off forum if you wish.

You can find information about the Burke and James Grover camera by Googling and by searching this forum. Burke and James was a Chicago camera store that is no longer in business, I don't know exactly when they went out of business. They sold products made by other companies under their own name, like Sears does with its Kenwood model. The Grover was a monorail I believe and probably isn't worth much, I'd guess $200 - $300 for the camera alone, assuming it's in good working condition and the bellows has no light leaks. The lens may add some value depending on its condition and brand.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The enlarger is an Omega D2, a very popular 4x5 enlarger. You seem to have the Omega cold light version rather than the much more common condenser version. I have equipped my D2 with a Aristo Cold Light. I have no idea how the performance of the Omega cold light compares to the Aristo.

I would place the value of the Omega D2 at no more than $100 except that the Omega cold light head is pretty rare. I do not remember seeing one for sale in recent years.

The enlarging lens is a 4 element 3 group tessar design manufactured in 1958 or 1959. Because it is not the top of the line and due to the decline of traditional darkroom photography it would probably garner less than $20 at auction.

Despite these low monetary values, this enlarger and lens would be of significant utility to somebody who wanted to try darkroom work. I am quite satisfied with my Omega D2.
    Last edited by aduncanson; 14-Oct-2008 at 23:57. Reason: added estimated valuations an addressed enlarging lens

The value in these would be in using them. With a little TLC it looks most everything is there to start shooting and printing 4x5.

The old B&J Grover appears to be missing the monorail, two focusing/sliding blocks under the front and back standards, and the tripod block, so its not in usable condition at present. You could probably make something to work, but finding the original parts will probably prove hard...in fact, you'll likely have to buy another junker Grover to get the parts.

Thanks to all who have responded, confirmed my thoughts that it was old, but not antique, and useful as an inexpensive starter for someone, but missing the rails for the camera.

I cannot see myself getting into 4X5 at this point as I am still on the learning curve (or dip) with the Digital cameras and computer.
    So with all this in mind, it looks like I am offering this for sale as a package or parts, open to offers.
    Attached is the camera lens, and I will post to the items for sale thread.
    Thanks again,
    Martin