Thread: Second Speed Graphic / Calumet Question

Second Speed Graphic / Calumet Question

The ground glass that came with the Speed is a little clouded/gross, once again I was wondering if I would be able to swap the glasses from my calumet... With that said the Graflock back that came on the SG is decent but one said isn't as tight as I'd like it, is there a good supplier of backs that I could get a new one at? Or, can I swap out the Graflock from my Calumet? (I've also posted pictures of both)

Re: Second Speed Graphic / Calumet Question

It's less likely that you will be able to transfer the groundglass from one camera to another brand. For that matter, I can't understand why you'd want to cripple a perfectly good monorail? Best idea, IMO, is the remove the glass from the SG and wash it. If there are multiple layers (such as GG and a fresnel) pay close attention to exactly how each piece is installed, including which side is facing where. Reassemble exactly as you find it.

Thanks, I think I might try washing them... Should I just use water? Windex? Does it matter?

I honestly don't shoot the Monorail too often, I'm very much a street/portrait photographer and hooking that rail over a shoulder and walking really cramps my style (and back) after a while...

I don't think you can do this, since the GG aren't quite the same size (but you can try). I've got a Bosscreen on my Cambo (should be same as your Calumet) but I think the plain screen was slightly smaller on the 4" side than the Graphic. Alan is right: try washing it. If it's still too dim for your tastes you can get a replacement for less than $30.

Quote Originally Posted by shapirophoto View Post
    The ground glass that came with the Speed is a little clouded/gross, once again I was wondering if I would be able to swap the glasses from my calumet... With that said the Graflock back that came on the SG is decent but one said isn't as tight as I'd like it, is there a good supplier of backs that I could get a new one at? Or, can I swap out the Graflock from my Calumet? (I've also posted pictures of both)

Soapy warm water and a soft brush.....

After removing the 2 parts of the SG focusing screen, soak them overnight in a good detergent or photoflo, before cleaning them with a soft brush. Be sure to notice and write down how they are assembled in the camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    After removing the 2 parts of the SG focusing screen, soak them overnight in a good detergent or photoflo, before cleaning them with a soft brush. Be sure to notice and write down how they are assembled in the camera.
    I think I'm going to try this. Thanks!

Would regular dishwashing detergent work? Or Laundry? Would photo flo be best??

SF Bay Area 94303

OK, more. The SG glass is smaller than most. Wash it first and reassemble. So my SG's have all had their frensels in backwards by the time I got them. The correct order is to put the fresnel in first with the shinny side toward the lens, bumps up, then put in the ground glass with the rough side toward the bumpy side of the fresnel and the smooth side toward you. Seems counter intuitive but that is the way the repair manual says it is supposed to be. K (Windex)