Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any reason to stick to Velvia ?

Is there any reason to stick to Velvia ?

Roger, in 35mm (and possibly MF) Provia F is a better choice than Astia for scanning because of the finer grain. However, in LF (and especially 5x7 and up) grain is not an issue, and Astia has a wider exposure latitude than Provia F, whose characteristics are mid-way between Velvia and Astia. Otherwise, the article supports my thinking. I have decided on Astia for my next 500 LF exposures.

Is there any reason to stick to Velvia ?

I just got finished editing 10 rolls of 35mm film I shot last week on a quick trip to Weisbaden, Germany. Some was Velvia, some was RDPIII and a couple were Provia 400F (it would be great if that film was available in Quickload!).

The Velvia really stands out even with a quick glance: the colors are more emotionally vivid and appear to have more depth, especially for scenics and details of trees and plants and cityscapes. BTW: this was the first RVP I've put in any camera in over a year as I have been relying on RDPIII for the bulk of my color image making

Astia is about the last film I would choose for landscape photography. While it would be great to have the addtional shadow detail, you gain that at the expense of of saturation & seperations in the mid tones and that is where most color exists. ithink if you are pretty cognizant of what a film is going to do, something that comes from experience, Velvia is still a great choice. I hate it for the slow speed, but

BTW:Making Cibachromes is a horrible thing to do to a wonderful image, unless of course you enjoy making contrast and red masks for each and every image you print.