Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera stuff--who did it come from?

Camera stuff--who did it come from?

Many of us appear to be "gear-heads" while some of us are minimalists when it comes to our approach to large format gear. What we have in common is that this gear has to have come from somewhere. Some build their own while others buy (and the fortunate few given) what they need either new or used.

It is the used cameras and lenses and accoutrements I'm interested in here.

How many of us have historically significant stuff in our kits and darkrooms? Cameras or lenses that have belonged to notable if not famous photographers? Equipment that once (that we know of) was used in some endeavor of commerce or exploration?

Do you have gear that has a story connected to it? And how does it effect you? I mean if you owned a lens once used by Ansel Adams or Edward Weston, do you put it on a shelf as a relic or does the very fact that it is what it is inspire you to be...I don't know...some how try to be more "worthy" in your photographic efforts? Or is it simply another lens no different from any other?
    I don't mean to limit the discussion to just lenses---I'm just offering that as an example---any photo gear is welcome--cameras, enlargers, film holders etc....anything having to do with photography and photographers.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

wfwhitaker

Re: Camera stuff--who did it come from?

I have a 7x11 film holder that purportedly belonged to Zane Grey. Now there's a non-sequitur for you. Of course, I have no documentation, so it's anybody's guess. But I'll have to bring it if I ever move back out west.

While not LF, my Leica once belonged to a Miami Herald photographer. That's nothing too special but photos from the Leica ended up in the portfolio which got me my job at a newspaper. I imagine some of the photojournalistic mojo must have carried over.

My 8x10 Toyo and 300mm Fujinon came from Arizona Highways photographer Trevor Stanley. He wasn't hugely famous, but he had a lot of covers for AH and several other magazines during the late 70's and into the 80's. He did large format color landscapes.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

None of my equipment has been affiliated with anyone or anything of note - like some say, of my photography.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

My 8x10 / 11x14 once belonged to the British photographer Terence Donovan. I have enough documentation to proove this is true including the auction house catalogue when all his gear was sold off after his sad death. Looking at all the cameras he owned I won't claim that he ever used it, he just owned it. I bought it to use it, 11x14's don't turn up very often over here.
    Pete.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

My godfather gave me an old camera of his and even though he is nobody of photographic importance I more often than not leave it on the shelf. I'm sentimental, I guess.

My camera was given to me by my aunt who had a real passion for photography and could create incredible things with a camera. I love it to bits and it’s the only one I ever use. I think it’s kind of more sentimental when you get the used camera from someone you actually know as opposed to a famous photographer, because it makes you feel close to the person who gave it to you. Obviously you can admire famous photographers, but I don’t think it’s the same kind of reverential feeling.

An item that I use with my 8x10 is a Baco clamshell head. Brett Weston used it with his Ries and gave it to me many years ago. It is by far my ugliest piece of equipment.

After photographing from his truck roof platform in Mexico during the 1950's, Brett drove away, neglecting to stow the tripod. The Ries survived the crash fine, however the Baco was in three pieces. Brett found a skilled welder in the wilds of Mexico who put it back into one piece, ground it flat, and Brett was on his way again. After returning to the States he purchased a new Baco head and gave me the old one. It has been my companion for over fifty years.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    An item that I use with my 8x10 is a Baco clamshell head. Brett Weston used it with his Ries and gave it to me many years ago. It is by far my ugliest piece of equipment.

After photographing from his truck roof platform in Mexico during the 1950's, Brett drove away, neglecting to stow the tripod. The Ries survived the crash fine, however the Baco was in three pieces. Brett found a skilled welder in the wilds of Mexico who put it back into one piece, ground it flat, and Brett was on his way again. After returning to the States he purchased a new Baco head and gave me the old one. It has been my companion for over fifty years.
    You win, Merg!