Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8X10 portrait lens

8X10 portrait lens

What is your best 8X10 portrait lens and why?

8X10 portrait lens

Gil,

My "best" 8x10 portrait lens is the 305 G-Claron. Why?...because it's the only one I own.

Seriously, I like it because it provides a good perspective for the type of portrait I usually make: full length, subjects in their environments, with that generally pleasing longer focal length look that a 12" lens provides on the 8x10 format. I also like that sharp, contrasty, well-defined (unflattering?) look the Schneider gives; I don't like that flattering, soft look of traditional portrait lenses.

If I wanted a bit tighter shot, something like a 14" lens would be nice. But, since I don't have one of those, it's not an option. I've also tried my Fuji 450 for portraits, but I don't like it as much, and I cannot precisely tell you why.

Good luck, Sergio.

8X10 portrait lens

I use a 210mm Schneider Symmar for all my 4x5 portraits. On 8x10 I have been using the 14" APO Artar, since it was the only lens I owned for that format. I'm about to pick up an old Kodak 21" (533mm) which I'll be using for 'bust' (head to waist) type portraits. Go with what you're comfortable with. If doing full length portraits then a 10" to 14" lens would be my preference.

Re: 8X10 portrait lens

I mainly use a 12 in 4.5 Ektar. It seems a little less clinical than commercial ektars. For portraits in a room I use a !0 inch Kodak widefield.

f4,5 360 mm Universal Heliar, 480mm f 4,5 Xenar not tested but soon will test it!

On 4x5 I have also an 250mm Imagon!

Cheers Armin

The only lens I have for 8x10 is a Nikkor 300/f9. I like wider lenses because I can get more context into the shot, or get closer to the subject. For a tighter shot, I use a bellows extension of 450mm.

355mm Schneider G-Claron. I shoot portraits, and it sees the way I see.

I have several. How about the five tied for 1st?

Cooke 15 inch f3.5 knucler. The best/easiest portrait lens made.
    P&S series IV 12 inch
    P&S series VI 9 inch
    18 inch port-land
    18 inch Kalosat

I have some more that are equally good but these are my favorites. I use the P&S the most as they are small enough to use on location.....and they give Awesome results. The Cooke is restricted to studio use and sees a lot of wet plate work. The lay two are pretty mobile but i am still getting to know them real well.

Oh! I just thought of five more....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have several. How about the five tied for 1st?

Cooke 15 inch f3.5 knucler. The best/easiest portrait lens made.
    P&S series IV 12 inch
    P&S series VI 9 inch. The p&s give the best SF of all the lenses I have used. Best in the sense of soft and sharp and glow into and out of the shadows.
    18 inch port-land. Super amounts of glow. I have not mastered it wide open but at 5.6 and 8 it is awesome. ( it opens up bigger than 5.6 but is not marked. Peo ably cause "in the day" they did not consider it pleasing that wide with all the blow it gives. Boy it glows wo!
    18 inch Kalosat. It is a whole new lens design for me to play with. Very different than the others. Still working it out but I live it!

I have some more that are equally good but these are my favorites. I use the P&S the most as they are small enough to use on location.....and they give Awesome results. The Cooke is restricted to studio use and sees a lot of wet plate work. The lay two are pretty mobile but i am still getting to know them real well.

Oh! I just thought of five more....

Edit. Sorry. Talke the 9 inch out. It is not an 810 lens
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Second to what eddie says. A Pinkham 14" Visual Quality lens in my case.