Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be careful with your Chamonix lens board locking tabs

Be careful with your Chamonix lens board locking tabs

I have received he following PM from a photographer and I will pass this to the factory. Since there are quite some people in this forum using Chamonix cameras, I want to share this with you all.

Hello Hugo,

I received the camera and am happy with it. Thanks for the quick service.

I must point out that the two tabs that retain the lensboard at the top (the ones that rotate to lock it in place) don't allow for some boards. I use boards that I have made as well as a Linhoff standard board. They all fit well into at least three other LF cameras I use, but I discovered the hard way that the Chamonix requires thinner boards. I thought the two tabs were properly engaged, but they did not fully rotate, and they became loose and on two occasions, the lensboards fell out, damaging one lens seriously as it hit a rock. I needed to thin the boards at the two locations where the tabs rotate down, and then saw the full travel of the tabs, which is adequate.

I think you should share this information with the builder and with all users on the LF Forum and on your website. Users need to check the engagement of these tabs. The damaged lens is worth nearly the cost of the camera itself.

Other than that, the camera is wonderful, and I have made some fine images with it.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Sipress

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Be careful with your Chamonix lens board locking tabs

Thanks for sharing this with us Hugo. I think that is good advice for all view camera users. This can be an issue on many different types of cameras.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

I have noticed to same problem on mine, but not with all lens boards, although they are all from the same manufacturer. It takes some effort to rotate the tabs and I have to push the lens board firmly against the front standard while rotating the tabs. I had to use a file on one of the lens boards.

The cheap lens boards from China (on eBay) are indeed a bit thicker than those generic boards sold by Robert White for example.

Had the same problem with a "no name" Technika-type recessed board on a Ebony 4x5. It's now in a landfill. The board that is.

Cheers,

Steve

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Aender Brepsom View Post
    The cheap lens boards from China (on eBay) are indeed a bit thicker than those generic boards sold by Robert White for example.
    Are these "copy-boards" even though they have the Sinar name, made in Switzerland, etc. and look totally real? I've bought a couple and they seem to be identical to my reference Sinar board bought ages ago but are just slightly thicker!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

As stated, I was able to carefully file two 'dips' into the boards where the retainers contact the face of the board. I smoothed them nicely with fine paper or a scotchbrite pad and every board I have works fine now. It's easy to do, but the point is that the retainers must travel fully to their stop to give the most secure board retention. If yours are not fully engaging, get out the half round file and fix them.

You don't have to chuck your boards into the landfill!

3d Visual Effects artist

Good to know! I haven't run into it yet, but something to look out for when getting a new board :-) Thanks for passing on the info!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Photographer

As a Chamonix owner, I'd have to say that the entire lens locking mechanism is a serious weak point. I don't trust the rotating tabs and would not carry the camera with a lens attached. I've carried other view cameras on the tripod, over my shoulder for 25 or more years, but always remove the lens from a Chamonix.
    Keith Pitman

I noticed this as well and certainly have to commend Hugo for bringing this to everyones attention. Especially for those of us who are new to LF, this is important information. Light weight in this size film format, combined with ease of assembly/disassembly means some of the features we take for granted in Nikons and Hasselblads aren't going to be there and it's best to understand all the advances and tradeoffs before one has a painful experience.

It seems the 8x10 has the catches on the bottom, well in this video anyway;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjJTnuZUdY

It does seem to be more secure with the catches on the bottom.