Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rock silde 5 hours ago in Yosemite valley

Re: rock silde 5 hours ago in Yosemite valley

Preston,
    Any word about all that new employee housing they have been building at Camp Curry? Are they gonna close it before they open it up?

It's danged embarrasing to misspell a word in the title of a thread and have to watch it spring back to life every so often!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

I don't know, John. I'll keep an eye out for any more info on the subject.

I've climbed a lot on the Apron and have seen some good sized rocks go by in the fast lane. I'm sure that climber traffic on the Apron has been much reduced of late. Scary stuff!

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

John,

The new employee housing at Curry has been open since last year and was not within the critical area affected by the closure.

My understanding is that the employee housing included in the closure is seasonal (tents) located just below the apron, an area called the Terrace, where my wife first lived when she arrived in the park. It is a picturesque area with tents situated among house-sized boulders deposited by a prehistoric rockfall. With the increased rockfall activity, it's closure is not surprising.

The accommodations affected are cabins without bath (WOBs) and the showerhouse that served them, and some of the historic cabins with bath (WIBs).

The bottom line with the closure is that there are fewer rustic accommodations available, which means folks will need to plan ahead a little further if they are looking for more economical in-Valley accommodations. FWIW, reservations are taken 366 days in advance for the hotels.